Monday, November 7, 2016

My Vintage Heart

Why a person loves pinks, purples, or bold geographic designs--the reasons are as many as there are different people in this old world.

I was made to love vintage things for as long as I can recall.





















It might have started with Laura Ingalls. It might have just started with the turn of the autumn leaves when I was riding the bus home in first grade while mom was up in the apple tree picking when I got home. Or it might have started while I played under the quilting frame while my grandmother and mom quilted over holiday breaks. Or when Laura Ashley was a revival phase in fashion. Or when I sat on my parents bed and dumped a box of old black and white photos and looked at them for hours.






If it wasn't then, surely it was when I was ten and spent the night at my Great Aunt Mattie's house in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where she led us up winding stairs by lamplight to sleep on a hay tick bed with an old fashioned foot warmer beneath the covers. When she made us breakfast on her wrought iron black stove.


By the time I was thirteen and helping my mother research our family history at the genealogy library, I was a goner when I sat in the microfilm room scrolling through pages of census records. It was like I'd fallen down a rabbit hole, or stepped through the back of a wardrobe to see into the lives of real historical people.








That was the year mom and I wallpapered my bedroom and I picked a flowered vintage smoky blue pattern with the feel of 1895.

 

I must have an old soul. But something in my spirit lights up when I see vintage, when I notice legacy, or when I feel the touch of history. History is who we all are. It's depth. It's real. It has meaning. That rocks me. And if you don't get that, then just watch an episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, when the person researching their family roots can't even name their grandparents but moves on to find generations of identity that came before them.
It's always moving.
It always touches something.
And that something to me is rich, deep, and real.
It's the best part of why I have a vintage heart.


Readers: 
What's your heart look like?
What draws you?
Why?
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me at: www.anneloveauthor.com
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter
Find me on: Instagram

8 comments:

  1. I'm a very sentimental person and it hurts my heart that my daughter didn't inherit that from me. I don't so much love vintage as I do things passed down from my grandparents. I have a dresser from the early 1920s that belonged to my paternal grandparents. I have a cedar chest that belonged to my maternal grandmother. I have a piano that my great grandmother bought me, a Packard from the early 20th century. A Gibson guitar that belonged to my dad. These are not necessarily valuable but they mean a lot to me just because of who they belonged to and the memories for me behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gail, I love the items you've preserved from your family! Isn't a Packard an old car? Neat. I have a lovely black and white photo of my grandfather's old model T, and his fish shanty pics, as well as an old fishing spear he used.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the Packard was a car but they made pianos for a very short time in the 1920s.

      Delete
  2. I adore vintage things! I have always said I have an old soul, too. Just this past week my mom stumbled upon an old box in our basement. (we all have been down there, none of us noticed this box before!) Inside were old letters and Christmas cards from the early 1920's to the 1940's! Half were letters from my grandpa's brother to my great grandparents during his time in the war. There are spots that were censored by a little square being cut out. It was an amazing find and we are still going over all of them. The pictures on the old cards and the way they are made are just fabulous and make my heart soar. So detailed and intricate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very very treasured for sure! That is so so cool!

      Delete
    2. Let me know if you would be interesting in sharing an interview-style blog post about this box you found for the readers. We could email about the details.

      Delete
  3. I love what you wrote here, Ann. I enjoy following your pins on Pinterest and I also enjoy vintage things. It IS amazing to think of all the history and stories connected to the bits and pieces we see! At our last home, they had almost 100year old door in the basement! It was amazing and I always admired it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, Amy. I'll bet that old door had character! My parents live in a remodeled one room school house built in 1888--I suppose some of my old soul comes from that too.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)