Thursday, October 6, 2016

What is that?

I'm always amazed when I go to a museum, or historic site, and find an object that would have been common to people from a by-gone era, but looks completely foreign now. Some items remain timeless (think toilet or bicycle), but many come and go.

I worked at the Charles A. Lindbergh Historic Site for ten years and we had quite a few of those unique objects. One of my favorite things to do was stump our visitors. I'd hold up an item that someone could have easily identified in 1910--and would receive hundreds of guesses.

Here are two items that were common in the early 1900's. Can you guess what they are?

Item #1

Item #2

Item #2 comes apart...
Your Turn: I'd love to hear your guesses!

Also, be sure to check out this fun giveaway on my personal website.

Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website
Sign up for My Newsletter

6 comments:

  1. I'm stumped. My first guess on item #1 is some sort of dressing aid or stocking stretcher. Item #2 seems too fancy for a chamber pot. What ever it is, it seems to be for the wealthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to guess that Item #2 is a hair receiver. But #1? If it was metal, I'd say it was a curling iron, but since it's wooden, I have no idea1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fairly certain item #2 is a hair receiver since I have one similar to it. My guess for item #1 is a glove stretcher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm I have no idea on either, but two have said hair receiver for item #2. What is a hair receiver? And the glove stretcher Keli Gwyn guessed for item #1 seems appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 looks like some kind of tongs and #2 looks like a candle holder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #1 is a glove stretcher and #2 is a hair receiver. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)