Thursday, October 27, 2016

Do you Always Write from a Good Place?

Gabrielle Here:

Last week I was with a friend and she said she was reading an advanced copy of my upcoming release, A Family Arrangement. She told me all the things she's enjoying about the story and she said she's amazed that the plot and the characters were made up in my imagination. She marveled that she could get a peek into my mind and heart while she read the story and she asked me a great question. She said: "Do you always write from a good place? Or do you ever write when you're going through tough situations?" Because, to her, it appeared that I was in a really great place when I wrote that story.
The moment my books arrived on my doorstep!
My answer is no, I don't always write from a good place. I can't speak for every author, but I can say this: if an author is under contract to finish a book by a deadline, nothing short of a family emergency will stop her from meeting that deadline. She can't wait until she's in a good place mentally, physical or spiritually. She has to write, regardless.

But here's the beautiful part. I might be under a lot of stress while writing a story, but often it's within the story that I am able to find my rest. I write because it's the creative expression God has given me to commune with Him. When I sit down to write a story, it's as if He comes alongside me and fills in all the gaps. Sometimes, there are things I put down on paper that I do not see coming. They take me by surprise and overwhelm me with their beauty. Sometimes a character will say exactly what I need to hear, even if I don't realize it at first. It's during times like that where I'm in awe of God's hand in my life and in my story. Those moments refresh me and give me the strength I need to manage all the other areas of my life that need tending.

For some people, they find rest and relaxation in gardening, scrapbooking, fishing, decorating, painting, singing, playing an instrument, exercising, helping friends and neighbors...the list goes on an on. You don't have to be in a good place to do those things well. Often, you go to those places to bring everything back into perspective and to rejuvenate.

For me, and many others, we use our writing.

No, I don't always write from a good place, but while I'm writing, God brings me to where I need to be.

How do you refresh and reenergize? What activity makes you feel closer to God? Are you ever required to do something, even if you don't feel like doing it?

Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website
Sign up for My Newsletter

6 comments:

  1. Refresh and re energize and feel closer to God comes from the same place for me: camping!! Especially in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love camping, Gail. To be a part of nature, removed from man made distractions and enjoy the beauty of God's creation. It's a great place to re-energize.

      Delete
  2. Great post! I suppose those deadlines are good motivation to keep going too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Though they don't usually encourage creativity. :)

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed your perspective! Sometimes I think I have to be in a certain "perfect" moment before I do XYZ, where the reality is that if I wait for that, I'll never do anything. Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Amy. Sometimes we just need to do XYZ regardless of how we feel.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)