Wednesday, September 21, 2016

My Amur Maple hedge. I LOVE the oranges and reds and yellows. 

Fall is on the way in earnest here in Minnesota. The trees are changing, the air is crisper, and football games are being contested. 

When fall rolls around, I love to make soups, and one of my favorites is Machine Shed Potato Soup. I feel pretty much like Betty Crocker when I make anything from scratch. :) So I thought I would share the recipe with you here, so you can feel like Betty, too!

2 1⁄2 lbs baby red potatoes, quartered
1⁄2 cup bacon, uncooked finely diced
1 large onion, diced
1⁄4 bunch celery, diced
2 quarts milk
1 quart water
4 tablespoons chicken base
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3⁄4 cup margarine or 3⁄4 cup butter
3⁄4 cup flour
1⁄4 bunch fresh parsley, freshly chopped
1 cup whipping cream
1⁄2 cup colby cheese, Shredded
1⁄4 cup bacon, bits fried
green onions, chopped for garnish


DIRECTIONS
In large pot, boil potatoes in water 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In large heavy pot, sauté bacon, onion and celery over medium-high heat until celery is tender, about 5 minutes.
Remove mixture from pot, drain bacon grease and return mixture to pot. Add milk, water, base, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is very hot, about 8 minutes, stirring often. Do not let mixture boil.
In small, heavy saucepan melt margarine. Add flour and mix well. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture bubbles, stirring 2 to 3 minutes to make a roux. While constantly stirring soup, add roux slowly until soup is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes.
Stir in parsley, reserved potatoes, and cream. Garnish with cheese, bacon bits, onions or all three.
Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. I adore soups this time of year! I have one on the stove simmering right now. :) This sounds fabulous - I will have to put it on the menu for this week!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)