Monday, September 12, 2016

9/11: Where Were You When...?

The twin towers fell.
The world was hushed.
The tears rushed.

Where were you when it all came down?
The crumbling sounds all around.
The air filled, smoke and choking the only sound.

Unbelief at our innocence crushed.
Life so free, suddenly grieved.

Where were you when it all came down?

I remember, remember well.
His small hand in mine, Momma, what fell?

The airwaves with voices trembled.
The skies silenced, the jet streams no appearance made.
A nation knelt in prayer, hushed yet loud grief crying.

Where were you when it all came down?


Fifteen years have passed, and everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news of the twin towers falling on 9/11/2001.

Ben was in kindergarten. I'd taken him that morning. We were to go with the kids to the airport for a field trip to meet a lady pilot who was 90 years old. It was immediately cancelled, as all airports were closed and flights grounded. We shielded the little children from the horrific terrible sights. I left the school, turned on the radio and listened to live calls coming over the airways from New York. Pain was in the air over the entire nation.

In the children's scrap books, we made a memorial page to remember.
Interestingly, I had found memorabilia from the day before the world changed: a bedtime prayer I wrote for Ben while I was working evening shift, and a journal entry from Emily.


September 11, 2001 marks a moment in time from which we can never go back.
We forever live in a post 9/11 world.
But what can never be taken from the people, is the choice that Helen Keller reminds us--to  overcome despite the loss and suffering.


May the world be filled once more with love, and overcoming of evil and suffering.
God bless those who lost family and loved ones.

Where were you?
How will you remember?
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me at: www.anneloveauthor.com
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter
Find me on: Instagram

2 comments:

  1. I was watching the Today show while getting ready for work. They broke in to say a plane hit one of the twin towers. Everyone in the news was debating whether it was an accident. I sat in my living room and watched live when the second plane flew around and then hit the second tower. Then we all knew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly impacted the entire nation forever--the entire world!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)