Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Why Should A Reader Review A Book?

Maybe I should retitle this post to: how much do you love your favorite author? :)

I've been thinking about book reviews lately, probably because I have a new release and you know, us authors tend to lurk on Amazon and Goodreads to see what ya'll think. But I'm also an avid reader. I never used to make it a habit to leave reviews, unless Amazon prompted me, because I honestly didn't see the point. I didn't usually read reviews myself. I'd glance at the stars. Two stars? forget it. I'm that type of reader. (yikes!)

But now I understand reviews a little bit better, and from a different perspective. So if you'll indulge me, I'll give you three big reasons why you should leave a review on your favorite author's latest work:

1. It helps sell copies. And not just in the way you'd think. I mean, 4 or 5 star ratings help, for sure, but did you know that the more reviews a book gets (positive or negative), that novel gets pushed further to the forefront of buyer's eyes? For example, once a novel has over, I believe it's 25 reviews, Amazon will start added it to people's recommended reading lists based on their buying habits. That's huge. This means, potential buyers who don't know about your favorite author's novel might buy it.

2. It gives authors authentic feedback. Well, I hope it's authentic. Because truly, if you don't like my writing, I'd like to hear why. Sometimes it's personal preference. We get that. But sometimes, maybe we missed something important we can flag and remember not to do again. That's always helpful. Most writers want to better their craft and improve their stories. Who better to help them with than the people who read them?

3. Reader reviews DO influence buyers. Straight up, I read reviews now. I do look beyond the star ratings to see what people think. I often skip to the negative reviews. Often they impress me to buy. Oddly. LOL Especially when a book is graded as too clean, or not racy enough. YAY! I'm in. But the positive reviews are helpful too. Especially the straight forward ones that state what worked well in the book.

Reviews are critically important to authors. And, as readers, this is one way we can thank them for the work that they do. I'm making it a practice to review all the books I read, not just on the blog here, but on Amazon and Goodreads too.

What are your thoughts on writing reviews?

_________________________________________________________



Jaime Jo WrightProfessional coffee drinker Jaime Jo Wright resides in the hills of Wisconsin writing spirited turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Coffee fuels her snarky personality. She lives in Neverland with her Cap’n Hook who stole her heart and will not give it back, their little fairy TinkerBell, and a very mischievous Peter Pan. The foursome embark on scores of adventure that only make her fall more wildly in love with romance and intrigue.

Jaime lives in dreamland, exists in reality, and invites you to join her adventures at jaimejowright.com.

Periscope: @jaimejowright

12 comments:

  1. I always review EVERY book I read. On at least 6 to 7 sites, my Facebook page and pin the covers on my Pinterest board. It takes a little time but I figure the more sites the better. I only wish I could read faster but I like to savor each book. I have a stack in order that I buy or receive them in the mail. My TBR pile. After I finish them I donate them to my church library. Unless I have a personal autograph inside and those you can't pry out of my hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do such wonderful reviews too,Gail!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know about reviewing books either until about 3 years ago! Now I review every book I read. I also read the low star reviews of future books, even though half the time they don't have any correlation to the book/story (complaints about price or typos), sometimes they do cause me to read the book because of their so called complaints. Isn't that funny? I realize now how important reviews are and I try to put what I want to know into my reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. I review many of the books I read, even if I'm pressed for time and it's only a few lines. Like you, it helps me to see it from the author's side. It offers a different perspective, for sure. Good post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly!!! Even a short review can make a big difference!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE reviewing for my authors!!!! It makes me feel like part of a great team to spread the word about some wonderful authors and their books. Like I'm pointing new readers (or drawing "old" readers) to authors writing. Makes me feel good & a small part of an authors life. I wished more readers knew how important & valuable reviews are. And they don't have to be elaborate ones either--unless one wants to wax poetic of course :-) Just a line or two saying why you liked it or whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!!! I love how readers can pair up with authors to make a team. So cool!!!

      Delete
  5. I like to review books sometimes, but it is a huge undertaking for me. It takes me an hour to one and a half hours to hand write it out; another ten or so minutes to type, edit, and revise it. Then I copy and paste it to various review sites and format a picture of it for Pinterest. It's a very lengthy process. Occasionally, I'll receive an ARC of a novel, so will definitely write a review for that one. If I receive a free book in a giveaway I usually will make an attempt to write a review of it, but not always. Sometimes I'll just write a review because I am so moved by the book that I'm compelled to talk about it; usually a library book. That doesn't happen very often. Other times I think the author's book could use a boost. It has a low star rating, but I know I enjoyed it, so will write a review to counterbalance those negative reviews and raise the star rating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are some of my reviews. I know I'm too wordy and lengthy, but I'm not certain how not to be. If I receive a free book, it seems as if I need to write something long in exchange for it; to make it worth it to the author or blogger.

      https://www.pinterest.com/nina4sm/book-reviews/

      Delete
    2. Wow!!!! You are dedicated!! And that means so much to authors to know a reader puts that much heart and thought into their reviews!

      Delete
  6. I am glad that people do reviews for books. They are often very helpful in deciding if to read the book or not.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)