Monday, August 15, 2016

I Never....Dreamed I'd Be Published!

Anne here.
There's a silly game called "I never..." It's a fun way of asking: "did you ever...?"

Well......

I got a publishing contract!!


...and I never would have believed it had anyone predicted it.

Not when I was a struggling first grader taking reading classes, and summer school.
Not on lazy Sunday afternoons when I was the only family member not happily lost in a book.
Not when I was an eighth grader sitting at the table in tears over my first major writing assignment.
Not when I was in speed reading class, fighting to keep up.
Not when I'd never read a book for pleasure until I was fourteen and discovered Janette Oke.
Nope. I would never have believed it.

Most authors will tell you they've dreamed of publishing their entire lives.
Instead, I've been pleasantly surprised by this dream. Writing has always calmed my mind, and clarified my thoughts. But this dream of publishing a work of fiction...well, I just never would have believed it.

When the email came up on my phone feed, it was the morning after my son's wedding this summer. Still reeling and glowing from the surreal celebration, we'd driven to the Bed & Breakfast in my home town for family reunion. 

I paced among the backyard flower gardens taking in the moment, relieved that I could soak in the news in peace. As a full-time Family Nurse Practitioner, I'd hoped the email moment wouldn't come while I was at work during an inopportune moment for celebration. 
But it happened with my family, in that garden. And I squealed!!!!

My family blank-stared me...What??

Keeping them sworn to secrecy, I told them I'd just been offered a publishing contract opportunity for a Gilded Age novella! (THANK YOU for the opportunity, Gabrielle!!)
I've been keeping this news quiet, but no more! News is out!!
And the best part? My story will be set in the Lake Michigan community where my grandfather worked for years as a carpenter. How sweet to be with all my grandfather's family when the news came! (and not at work cleaning a wound, swabbing for strep throat, or discussing life's serious stuff--I couldn't have squealed!). If it weren't for my Grandpa John and Grandma Emma, none of these dear family would have been present to share in my moment of celebration: 

I don't plan to quit my day job!! But after office hours, my imagination will be swirling in the world of Michigan's Bay View Chautauqua, where a prestigious literary circle draws the library assistant and the founder's nephew across the social lines of 1895. 

Getting the email was great, but receiving the contract in the mail on my birthday the day I arrived home from Ireland, was SWEETER!!!!


Thank you readers, 
Ted, Emily & Ben, Mom & Dad, teachers Mrs. Andrews & Ms. Erma Yoder, agent, and friends,
for all your encouragement and interest. 

Thank you, Father, for words--for the Word.

If you've ever had a dream
or even if you've never dreamed a dream:
you just never sometimes hardly ever know....
...how the story will be written.

(Stay tuned this week on the blog for more fun announcements!!)
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads

33 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Anne!! I'm so thrilled for you and happy to be celebrating this day alongside you. I can't wait to read your story. :) I love that you were with your family when you received the news. What a wonderful thing to share with your loved ones. Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your exciting news!! I hope you don't quit your day job!! That would be sad news. ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! So exciting for you...and for all of us who will get to read your novella! Looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *SQUEEEEEEE* OH my goodness, I'm so excited for you!!!!! Wow, what wonderful ways to have found out and receive the contract. I'm giddy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sweet, Susan! It's so fun to share it with you all you readers!

      Delete
  6. HaPpY dAnCiNg for you, Anne! And I love that your story involves family history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Beth, thanks for sharing this with me! Thank you for all your smiles, coaching, and encouragement! :)

      Delete
  7. Anne, this is wonderful news! You are one of the pre-published authors on my prayer list to get a contract and now you have signed one. I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, Sylvia, this makes me tear up! How gracious of you.

      Delete
  8. Oh, Anne - you don't know how excited and happy I am for you!! But am I surprised - no!! Guess you didn't believe me those numerous times I predicted this would happen for you, LOL!! I've prayed for this day and felt for so long it would come, just patiently waiting for God's timing for you - just as His timing for my vision of CFRR is now being realized. Congrats and hugs, Anne - can't wait to hear the release date, I'll be one of the first in line to buy it!! And can't wait to meet you at ACFW in a few days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hugs, Bonnie! How sweet of you! Ahhh, you'll be there!?

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Colleen--I'll never forget that day at the Indiana ACFW meeting when you were hoping I'd find a good fit in a critique partner. That was pre-Jaime-2008. Then I sat at the "newbie" table next to that brunette-coffee-drinking-dinamo... The rest is history and can't wait to see what God does next!!

      Delete
  10. I always love hearing these stories! Congratulations!! Enjoy this time!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, Anne! Great call story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lyndee. What's that saying, "He doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies he called..." I'm leaning into that!!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations Anne! I love it when someone's dream comes true.

    📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, you've been such a faithful blog-follower. Thanks for celebrating with me and stopping by for "coffee" so often! :)

      Delete
  13. This is such amazingly awesome news! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara! Great to have your shining face here. Eeeeee!!! :)

      Delete
  14. Hurray, Anne! So hard earned and well deserved. So excited and proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Kara! Can't wait for ACFW in a week!!

      Delete
  15. Yay!!!!! I loved reading your publishing journey, Anne. So excited for you! I can't wait to meet you in ACFW and celebrate debuting together! So much excitement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto, can't wait to meet you either!! :)

      Delete
  16. CONGRATULATIONS, Anne! I'm so excited for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being a regular follower and friend here, Caryl!

      Delete
  17. Congratulations Anne! God Amazing! He arranged for you the chance to Squeal with delight among people who would understand. Then you got the contract on your birthday! Amazing!
    I'm very happy for you and look forward to reading your novella! Sorry this is a bit late, I was in slow internet land and missed this post.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)