Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Friendship

Gabrielle Here:

I usually post on Thursdays (I'll be back tomorrow!), but Erica asked if I'd step in today to fill her spot. I happily agreed and decided to use this post to embarrass her a little. :) You've gotten to know her through her blog posts, but I thought it would be fun if I told you even more about her--the stuff she wouldn't say herself.

You see, Erica is quickly becoming one of my very favorite people. If you know her in person, you know she's hilarious, intelligent and kind. She's an extroverted-introvert who likes to sit at the back of the room (whereas I'm a front-row girl), but she's also an amazing conversationalist and a beautiful public speaker. She's quick-witted and finds humor in every situation. I laugh constantly when I'm with her. She's a walking Encyclopedia (do you remember those things?!?!). She can pull out dates, names and places at the drop of a hat. She's been to countless historic sites and museums, and has a bucket list to see all the President's Homes. I think I hide it well, but I'm always amazed at her knowledge (like mouth-dropping amazed). There is never a dull (or quiet) moment when we get together. She's a hoot!

We met online in 2012 and then in person at the ACFW Conference that year. In the spring of 2013, after only meeting once, she invited my husband and me to stay at her home when we went to Rochester for a homeschool conference. I'll never forget driving to her house and my husband saying: "Are you sure you know this person?" She was extremely hospitable and we loved getting to know her family.

We didn't see each other more than once or twice a year for the first couple of years, but then we were in two novella collections together and entered the Blurb2Book Contest with Love Inspired Historical. We also went to a retreat put on by our writing group and we hung out more at conference. This past year we started meeting in the Twin Cities (which is half way between our homes) to go to special events and exhibits at historic sites and museums, and to have coffee before our monthly writing meetings. I always look forward to my time with Erica.

One of my favorite memories to date is when she came to my house for a writing retreat this past spring. Originally we had planned to write and brainstorm, but when the date drew near we decided to use the time to read through our Seven Brides for Seven Texans Novella Collection. In 48 hours, we read six novellas from six authors (one wasn't quite ready)--over 150,000 words out loud! We only stopped to eat, sleep, and go to a dinner theater production. It was a lot of work, but we had so much fun!

I love Erica and I love being a part of this blog with her. We're kindred spirits and have so many things in common, it's uncanny. I'm so thankful God brought her into my life and blessed me with her friendship. It brings to mind one of my favorite C.S. Lewis quotes:


Here are a few of my favorite pictures with Erica:
 
April 2013 when Erica invited my husband and me to
stay at their home during the homeschool conference.
May 1, 2015 the day my debut novella released! Erica is in
the same collection and we happened to be together that day.
Visiting during a writing retreat in May 2015.
All dolled up for the Gala Dinner at the
2015 ACFW Conference.
Do you know why we're laughing so hard in these pictures?

You got it! Erica. :)
Erica is an amazing author and an even better friend. I never knew there was someone on this planet who loved writing, Minnesota history and Jesus as much as me. :) I can imagine that God was smiling down on us and waiting for that moment when we would discover our friendship.

Now I'd love to hear from you. Do you have any fun memories with Erica (in person or online)? Do you have a kindred spirit? What are some things you enjoy doing together?

Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website

5 comments:

  1. said it once, twice and I'll say it again, the four of you need to write a book (or books) together as in the style of Smitten by Coble, Hunter, Hunt and Billerbeck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Smitten, but I know those authors and I imagine it's an amazing collection. I'd love to write something with Jaime, Anne and Erica. :) Maybe we will...

      Delete
  2. I only see Erica once a year at the ACFW conference, but she's one of those people I always look for. It doesn't take long after meeting Erica to want to be her friend! I think she's awesome! Looking forward to Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right, Becky! It doesn't take long to realize you want to be Erica's friend. :) Looking forward to seeing you in Nashville.

      Delete
  3. I would love to meet Erica, Anne, Jaime and yourself! True friends are rare gems. Have fun in Nashville!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)