Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Behind The #Novella - #CaliforniaGoldRush Style

I'm more of a platinum girl myself, but for the time being I am ALL about the California Gold Rush. Why? Because in two weeks, my next novella is releasing as a part of the California Gold Rush Romance Collection from my amazing publishing house, Barbour Publishing!

Really, there's a few critical points you need to know about this novella that I wrote, Gold Haven Heiress.

1. I came up with the title before I had a clue of what the novella would be about.
2. I knew absolutely squat about the California Gold Rush
3. I Googled Wikipedia to find out what the gold rush was actually all about

WIKIPEDIA?!?! I know. *bows head in shame*

But then, a few things happened. First, I met Thalia Simmons. She isn't your typical heroine (but then when do I ever write your typical heroine?). Thalia is a used up prostitute with a scar puckering the entire right side of her face. She has an aversion to people, not just men. Her preferred friend was her pet mouse "Ounce" (thanks to Teresa Tysinger for naming it!), and she lives in a gold mining ghost town that's about as washed up as she is.

Then Jack came along. Jack is NOT my normal hero. My heroes are usually brisque, haunted, gruff, verging on arrogant, and most assuredly self-confident. Jack was opposite. Jack was first of all... wait for it ... Nice.

HOW DO I WRITE A NICE HERO!?!

Why do my characters do this to me?? I can do cynical, sarcastic, dry-witted men. I can write strong, assertive, even dominant males. But nice? I didn't even know what to do with Jack. The conversation sort of went like this:

Me: You can be nice, Jack, it's not my M.O.
Jack: I understand. I know that it can be hard, but I'm here for you. The whole time.
Me: (raises eyebrow in derision) Seriously, man. Toughen up.
Jack: Tough never served me well. I prefer to serve others.
Me: Sigh. Jack. I can't. Really. Drop me a bad-boy one-liner.
Jack: Jaime, I'm just not like that. I care too much and I am a serious thinker. I contemplate, I rescue, I save. I don't insult, goad, and irk. 
Me: Fine. Then you're going to fall in love with a prostitute. How's THAT!?
Jack: If that is what is willed for me, I will rise to the occasion and I will learn to love her with all my heart.

After that mental conversation, which should probably render me committed to a psyche ward somewhere, I acquiesced. Then I realized, my readers NEED a nice man. Especially lately. The world could use a Jack. A rescuer of the wounded. A gentle spirit who's inner strength is what kicks batooty. So then, I was all in!

Jack and Thalia have a rather estranged relationship. Not because of sarcasm or wit, but because of their futures. Rather than dwelling on their pasts, they are both attacking their future with their own forms of redemption. Jack, has it right. Thalia needs a rather severe nudge.

All in all, I am stoked to bring you Jack and Thalia's tumultuous story. One of future idealism that goes far beyond the lure of gold, to something far more inherited and a legacy far more eternal! :)

Join myself and several other contributing authors on August 2nd as we celebrate the release and also give away a Kindle Fire among other prizes!! WOO HOO!

Pre-order your copy here if you're so inclined! And if you don't like mine, well you have eight other AMAZING stories to read too! :)



_______________________________________________

Jaime Jo Wright

Jaime Jo Wright
... Spirited turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense

Professional coffee drinker Jaime Jo Wrightresides in the hills of Wisconsin writing spirited turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Coffee fuels her snarky personality. She lives in Neverland with her Cap’n Hook who stole her heart and will not give it back, their little fairy TinkerBell, and a very mischievous Peter Pan. The foursome embark on scores of adventure that only make her fall more wildly in love with romance and intrigue.


Jaime lives in dreamland, exists in reality, and invites you to join her adventures at jaimejowright.com.

Web site: www.jaimejowright.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jaimejowright
Twitter: www.twitter.com/jaimejowright
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jaimejowright 
Instagram: www.Instagram.com/jaimejowright 
Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/author/show/13916081.Jaime_Jo_Wright
Periscope: @jaimejowright


9 comments:

  1. Can't wait to get my copy I won! Anticipation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shared to Pinterest and Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get my copy and meet Jack and Thalia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope you love them as much as I grew to! :)

      Delete
  4. That's on my birthday! Maybe I'll win a copy. :) I once got a title for a story like you did. Mine was The Bounty Hunter and the Bride, and then I wrote a story to fit. Kind of fun, but a lot different from the norm for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEY! Maybe you will! :) :) Isn't it different? Me too. The title first... but then the story ended up fitting so well. LOL Not sure I'd want to make that a habit tho. And "Bounty Hunter"? Anything with that in the title makes me want to read!

      Delete
  5. Jaime, I'm so excited to read Jack and Thalia story! See you at the party!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)