Thursday, June 2, 2016

Summertime and the Livin is Easy...Or is it?

Yesterday, at approximately noon, summer vacation started for the Meyer family. My oldest finished fifth grade, my second finished third grade, and my twin boys completed Kindergarten.

Yesterday at recess, moments before the
boys finished Kindergarten
(Can I add a side note? My twins are my "babies," yet I had no problem sending them off to Kindergarten this year. You would think, given they're my youngest, that I would have been very emotional, but I wasn't. I was ready to send them off. Not only because they needed that change of scenery, but also because I homeschool our older girls. It was a lot easier keeping the girls on track when we weren't interrupted by the boys. But there was something much different about the last day of Kindergarten for me. I was very emotional as I realized they are now DONE with Kindergarten. They will be in first grade next year. That's a whole different ballgame. First grade is for big kids. Little boys who are on their way to being little men...excuse me while I wipe a tear and hug them close again.)

Summer is my favorite time of year, especially here in Minnesota. We soak up as much of summer as we possibly can. There are days when we might be in three different bodies of water. One lake in the morning for swimming lessons, a dip in the Mississippi River behind our house after lunch, and maybe a boat ride in Grandma's lake after supper. We ride bikes, hike countless trails, play in the park, grill as many meals as we can (even breakfast!), have campfires in our backyard, swing in the hammock, visit the zoo, explore historic sites, and on and on.

My backyard
Summertime and the livin is easy...but very, very busy with lots of fun activities.

This summer my girls will attend Bible Camp for the first time! They will also participate in community theater (Cinderella) in June. In July my oldest will go to a week-long, intensive theater camp in a nearby city to perform The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and both girls have been invited to participate in an annual community play fundraiser in August.

There will be golfing at the nearby golf course, watching fireworks at the lake, family reunions, playdates at the beach, and kickball games at the ball fields. My husband and I will celebrate our fifteenth wedding anniversary, and both of our daughters will have birthday parties.

In a couple weeks, I will be welcoming twenty writer friends to my hometown for a much-needed retreat. We will be staying in a historic mansion on the banks of the Mississippi River a few blocks from where I live. I have lots of fun activities planned and I'm looking forward to showing off my little river town.

In August I will attend the ACFW Conference in Nashville, and a few days after I return, on September 1st, I will be hosting a release party for my first novel, A Mother in the Making.

Lots and lots of fun plans. I will constantly remind myself to take life one day at a time, enjoy each moment as I experience it, and not lament at how quickly it passes.

Let's Chat: What are your plans for the summer? What are your favorite summer memories?

Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)