Thursday, June 16, 2016

Advice From My Six-Year-Old Son

Today is a busy day. I'm hosting a writing retreat for twenty ladies in a historic mansion in my hometown. By the end of the day, everyone will gather for our first meal, visit endlessly, and play some fun games. The rest of the weekend will be devoted to more food, more visiting, more games, a movie, fireworks along the Mississippi River, and lots of time to write and brainstorm. Next week I'll share pictures and talk a little bit more about my dream to host the retreat...but for now I decided to ask my twin boys for a little advice. Surprisingly, the advice I received goes hand-in-hand with hosting the retreat.

My twins are six-years-old. They just finished their first year of school and are enjoying the freedom of summer. One of my twins is the "spirited" child in the family with lots of determination, curiosity, and willpower. He's very intelligent and loves to explore the world around him. His mind is incredible and he sees things a little different than most people. I can't wait to see the plans God has for his life.


The other one is my tender-hearted child with lots of gentleness, smiles, and patience. He is athletically bent with an incredible amount of stamina. He loves making people smile, he's easy-going, and can find fun in any situation. I'm excited to watch him grow and become the man God created him to be.


I asked both boys for a little advice for my blog post, but my spirited child said he didn't have time to give me advice (as he colored). :) My tender-hearted son thought for quite some time, staring out the window, and then he said: "Never give up."

I asked him to explain and he said: "Never give up on something when it gets hard."

I said: "Why not?"

"'Cause then you won't get to do what you really want to do."

I asked him: "What is one thing you really wanted to do, but it was hard for you? Did you do it?"

Again, he thought for a while. Finally he said: "I really wanted to climb the tree out front."

My spirited son said: "Oh, that's easy!"

I reminded both boys that everyone has different strengths.

My tender-hearted son said: "It was hard for me, but I did it and I'm happy."

I love the innocence--yet the incredible wisdom--in his advice. It's an easy thing to say, but a hard thing to do. And the older we get, the harder the obstacles become. But if we keep going, we'll do the things we really want to do and have no regrets.

I really wanted to host a large writing retreat. For a while I put it off, because of the amount of work and the obstacles I would have to overcome. But I didn't give up--and like my tender-hearted son, I'm happy I persevered.

I'd love to hear from you. What's one thing you always wanted to do, but you did it, even though it was hard?

Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website

1 comment:

  1. I had always wanted to work for the USPS. I was fortunate enough to get selected to work in a small rural post office. I was hired to deliver mail as a substitute for the regular carrier. It was hard! My husband found a plaque that said the same thing your son did "Never Give Up". I kept it in my car as I went about my route. I had to pull it out a few times when the day was hard. Over 500 mailboxes, excess mail after a holiday, flat tires and the extreme heat of summer.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)