Friday, May 20, 2016

Falling for the Hometown Hero - Interview with Mindy Obenhaus


Super thrilled to have Mindy Obenhaus here at the CCC blog! It's always fun to have familiar faces and great story tellers. Enjoy getting to know Mindy and don't forget to enter the drawing for her latest novel (USA winner only)

_____________________________

What authors do you like to read?

Jill Kemerer, Lisa Jordan, Lorraine Beatty and Ruth Logan Herne, just to name a few. Rachel Hauck is another favorite. I absolutely love her royal series.

What book or books have had a strong influence on you or your writing?

About all I can say is that I remember reading Susan May Warren’s Noble Series and thinking, “I want to write like that.

What’s more important: characters or plot?

Characters. Though the two really go hand-in-hand. I usually figure out my characters first and then try to come up with the best plot for them.

Is there one subject you would never write about as an author and what would it be?

This is a tricky question, because as soon as I say that one subject, God will likely lay it on my heart to write about just that. As a writer, all I can do is be open to whatever God calls me to write and trust Him to lead me through whatever complexities might come with that.

How important are names to you in your books and how do you choose them?

There are times when choosing names is really a pain. Sometimes I’ll use the Baby Name Survey Book to help me with both meanings and perceptions of names, but more often than not the names just come to me. I’m a visual person first, so I need to know what each of my characters looks like. After that, I make sure the name fits their face, as well as their personality. Like in the book I’m working on now, I had Jen as my heroine’s name. Shortly after I started writing, though, she quickly corrected me, letting me know that her name was actually Carly.

What secret talents do you have? Because here at the CCC blog we have all kinds of them ;)

Secret, huh? There’s not a whole lot about me that’s a secret. Especially when it comes to talents. I love to cook. And thanks to my oldest daughter, I’m kind of getting into distressing furniture.

What were you like as a child? Steady-going like our Anne, a tornado like Jaime, and adventurous soul like Erica, or an avid-reader like Gabrielle?

Probably more of an adventurous soul, much to my mother’s chagrin. Might come from being an only child. I didn’t have any siblings to learn from, so I had to carve my own path.

Characters often find themselves in situations they aren't sure they can get themselves out of. When was the last time you found yourself in a situation that was hard to get out of and what did you do?

I was at our family ranch, alone, and encountered a copperhead snake. Not the first time this has happened to me, however I’m usually able to call on my husband or one of my son’s to take care of the vile creature for me. Not this time. Naturally, the guns were with my husband who was still en route, so not only did I have to face the snake alone, I had to get close enough to decapitate it with a shovel. Which I eventually did, however it took me several tries, meaning the snake probably died more from bludgeoning than decapitation.

What’s your writing goals for 2016?

I have two books due this year, so those are my goals.

Lastly, will you leave us with a snippet from your book that is one of your favorites and gives us a glimpse into its pages?

From the June 2016 release Falling for the Hometown Hero from Love Inspired Books. Copyright 2016 Mindy Obenhaus.

 “I know I already asked you, but are you sure you’re all right, Grace?”
No getting anything past Mr. Perceptive. Yet for as much as she longed to pour her heart out to him, she didn’t trust herself. He was the kind of guy who would listen attentively and do his best to comfort her. And the comforting was what worried her. It would be so easy to fall into his strong arms and believe that all was right with the world.
So, for her boss’s sake as much as her own, she’d just have to fake it. “Yeah. I’m just a little tired, that’s all.”
“I hope you’re not getting sick.” He moved toward her, his concern mounting.
“I’m fine. I just…” Tell him. Give the guy a chance. “I didn’t sleep well last night.” No fibbing there.
Wiping his hands on a shop rag, he continued to study her. “That would explain the bags under your eyes.”
Did he just—? “Bags? What do you mean—?”
He laughed. “There’s the spitfire we all know and love.”
Love?
Still laughing, he lowered his arms, closed the distance between them and gave her a hug. “Sleep well, Grace.” He smelled of fresh air and masculinity. A toxic mix for someone in her pathetic state. And she missed him as soon as he stepped away. “And remember, I’m always here if you need me.”

a Rafflecopter giveaway

(Winner must be located in the USA only)

8 comments:

  1. Mindy you are a very brave woman as I'm sure Jaime would agree. I hate snakes and would probably run, which I know is the wrong thing to do. I enjoy reading Love Inspired books and thank you for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, we never know what we can do until we're put in a situation. That, however, is one I don't care to repeat.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on another great book! This is a fabulous story, and I'm so excited for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I ordered Mindy's book today and cannot wait for it to arrive. :)
    Blessings, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Patti Jo. I hope you love it as much as I do. ;)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)