Thursday, May 5, 2016

Debut Book Cover

This week on Facebook, I had the privilege of revealing my first solo book cover! I wanted so badly to wait until today to make the big reveal here...but I couldn't wait a moment longer than necessary!!

When I saw my book cover for the first time a few weeks ago, I cried. Not only because it was my own cover (I've shared two others on novella collections), but because the art team gave me the picture of Marjorie and baby Laura that I had imagined in my mind and heart. Seriously, they couldn't have done a better job.

Yesterday, Erica shared about her first Love Inspired Historical cover. She talked about the art sheet we have to fill out, and how time-consuming it is--but I'm reminded of why they ask us to fill those out with such detail. It enables them to create a cover like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mother-Making-Love-Inspired-Historical/dp/0373283776/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462423068&sr=8-1&keywords=A+Mother+in+the+Making

Isn't that the sweetest picture ever? What I love is that in the story, Marjorie has never held a baby in her life...but within days, she's cuddling Laura as if the baby had been made for her arms. I can feel the love Marjorie has for Laura in this scene.

A couple months ago, I wrote two blog posts about the images I gave the art team for my September release, A Mother in the Making. You can go here to see more images for the hero and heroine, and here to see more images for the setting ideas.

This is the picture I sent for the heroine, Marjorie Maren.

Actress Kate Hudson
And these are the pictures of the type of clothing I envisioned her in.



I also sent pictures of the third-floor day nursery under the attic eaves that plays a part in my story.





The cover they created is heart-warming, tender, and period-authentic. It is a wonderful representation of my story and the characters inside the book. I'm in love!

To celebrate the release of my debut cover, I'm offering an advance copy to one blog reader! I should have my author copies a couple months before the release date. As soon as I do, I'll mail it to the winner. Please fill out the Rafflecopter below for your chance to win (U.S. citizens only).

Here's a little more about the book:

Matchmaking with a Mission  

Practical, steady, levelheaded: all qualities single father Dr. John Orton expects in both a governess and a wife. But his children's temporary governess Miss Marjorie Maren seems set on finding him an impractical woman to love…despite his plans of marrying solely for convenience. Nothing could be more exasperating to the handsome widower—except his increasing interest in Marjorie.

Vivacious and fun-loving: that's the kind of bride the reserved doctor needs. Before Marjorie leaves to pursue her acting dreams, she intends to match him with a suitable wife candidate. Yet growing affection for her four charges and their dashing father has awakened a new hope—that she might be his perfect bride. But can she convince her employer to take a chance on love and claim real happiness before it slips away?



Your Turn: What do you love to see on a book cover (people, animals, babies, outdoor/indoor scenes)? Does the cover influence your decision to buy and read a book?

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website

33 comments:

  1. First let me say your cover is both beautiful and inviting. I love covers that tell me a story without opening the book. You know the old saying,"A picture tells a hundred stories." To be honest I prefer half hidden faces because I like to use my imagination to fill in the rest. As for outside versus inside, etc. all depends upon the story. If a cover is not inviting I more than likely will overlook the story itself. These are just my opinions.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts, Katrina! They are invaluable. It's always good to know what a reader thinks about book covers. I appreciate your kind words about mine. I love how the cover artist portrayed my characters on this cover. There are four children in the story, and all have such fun personalities. I wish they could have all been on here. :) Blessings to you, too!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Gabe! The cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this cover! Truly the sweetest and I have a thing for stories with kids. Is it funny that the first thing that grabs me is the cover, then the title? Usually, that's enough for me to be interested. If I need more, the author and then the synopsis.

    Congrats again Gabe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if you love children in a story, you'll love this one!! There are four: Charlie (10), Lilly (8), Petey (3), and Laura (6 months). When I wrote the story, I used my own children as character templates. Both my agent and editor commented on how much they love the children in this story. :) I do, too. Thanks for being here, Annie!! And thank you for spreading the word about A Mother in the Making.

      Delete
  4. Love the cover, but the story sounds sooooo fun to read! If I don't get the honor of winning...this will definitely be on my TBR list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a fun story to write. Marjorie gets herself into all kinds of trouble, and John (the swoony hero) doesn't quite know what to do with her. :)

      Delete
  5. Your book sounds wonderful and the cover is beautiful and heart-warming! Book covers do influence my decision whether or not to read a book and I really enjoy seeing people on a cover! Congratulations, Gabrielle! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book covers influence my decision, as well. It's vital that the art team captures the essence of the story. I have to admit, the cover designer did a marvelous job with Marjorie and Laura. I still smile when I look at them together. :) Thank you for being here, Melissa.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your book! I love seeing outdoor scenes, people, animals and babies on book covers. I do tend to be drawn to a book more by a cover at times. Your book has a lovely cover that says there is a story to tell and read here!
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Maryann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maryann! I agree about book covers, they do tend to influence my decision to buy a book. I appreciate what the art team did with my story.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your wonderful cover, Gabe! I love the warm feeling it evokes. Makes me even more eager to read your story than I already was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keli! Your LIH covers have also been so warm and beautiful. It's fun to see what the art team creates after we give them all the details of the story.

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful cover, Gabe! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brenda!! It's been fun to reveal the cover.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful cover! Soft. Motherly. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a touching story!

    wfnren at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. AH! I'm in love with this cover! It brings tears to my eyes!!! So excited for you, Gabe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carrie!! Your comment brought a smile to my face. :)

      Delete
  13. The cover is so sweet! And I love the expression on the little kids face that's sitting on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is definitely looking on with joy, isn't he? The whole cover is amazing. I love it.

      Delete
  14. I love to see people and/or outdoor scenes on covers. The quality of a cover will definitely affect my decision to give it a try. If the design is poor or amateurish, then I assume the writing will be as well. I've been proven wrong a few times when I've read the book based on recommendation instead of the cover, but in those cases I needed someone to convince me. I'm definitely a visual person and the cover means a lot. I love the sweet moment portrayed on your new book cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Heidi. A top-quality cover is important. I'm so happy Love Inspired invests in their cover art, and that they were able to capture the tender essence of my story.

      Delete
  15. I am so excited for you about your new LIH book, congratulations. I ABSOLUTELY love the LI covers. They are so eye catching and appealing. I love all the covers you mentioned depending upon the description of the story. Your cover is absolutely gorgeous! It matches your submitted pictures perfectly I can see why you are so pleased.

    Cnnamongirl at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cover doesn't always influence my choice of books, but it doesn't hurt, either. I do enjoy seeing glimpses of characters, too much details spoils my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a great story Gabrielle! Thanks for giving us a chance to win it! As for book cover,I do admit that it does have an influence on me. People and babies are my favorite on a cover.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! Your cover is beautiful. I am most drawn to amazing outdoor scenes or a quaint cabin, but really many kinds! A cover definately makes me want to buy and read a book!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)