Friday, May 13, 2016

Book Review: Mistress of Tall Acre by Laura Frantz

~~It's George MacDonald meets Jane Austen
~~It's a classic Laura Frantz blend of nuance, scene, history, and romance.

~~"Triumph and Tragedy, Loyalty and Betrayal"
~~Charming and Colonial
~~A wonderful picture of post-Revolutionary American life--a time when traitorous attitudes still tainted everything from marriage, prestige, and land holdings.


The war had finished and the neighboring army general had returned, but the uprooting of anti-torrie sentiment and seizure of Tory land holdings had yet to be a thing of the past. Yet patriot Sophie Menzie's clung to hope that her brother would return to claim his rightful ownership over their family estate since her father's Tory allegiance had sent him back to Scotland.

General Seamus Ogilvy has returned from military battle to face another kind of battle--reentry to civilian life and the care of his motherless daughter and the management of Tall Acre estate.

When his daughter is drawn to neighbor and family friend, Miss Menzie's, the general is relieved to entrust her to Sophie's care from time to time. As the bond between them grows beyond the care of his daughter, and a women from his past returns without warning, the fledgling redemption of their new connection is threatened.

For Sophie, not only is her heart endangered by the return of the mysterious woman, but the future of her family lands, and the title of the rightful mistress of Tall Acre.

One of the things I love about reading historical romance is being transported back in time, not into a history lecture, but into the every day lives of people who lived before me and what it may have been like. Yes, it's a fictional representation. However, one thing I learned from reading Colonial Era works of fiction is that after 1776 Declaration of Independence--life took nearly a decade or more to recover. After we declared independence, our new government seized the land holdings of Tory loyalists, and it wasn't like Britain just gave up and went home on July 5th.

Readers:
Have any of you traced your Revolutionary War ancestor's history?
If so, please share a tidbit with us!
Are there things about the Colonial Era you've recently discovered, or would like to hear more about here at CC&C?
For those of  you who have read Laura's previous works, which one is your favorite?



If you've never read Laura Frantz's work, or been introduced to her, I'm delighted to bring you a taste of her excellent gift in story telling. Her writing is a masterful blend of setting, history, and transformation that draw readers in from the time you crack open the cover.

She is an "Award-winning author Laura Frantz is passionate about all things historical, particularly the 18th-century, and writes her manuscripts in longhand first. Her stories often incorporate Scottish themes that reflect her family heritage. She is a direct descendant of George Hume, Wedderburn Castle, Berwickshire, Scotland, who was exiled to the American colonies for his role in the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715, settled in Virginia, and is credited with teaching George Washington surveying in the years 1748-1750. Frantz lives and writes in a log cabin in the heart of Kentucky."

Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook 
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Twitter
Find me on: Goodreads 

39 comments:

  1. So fun to see one of my favorite authors on our blog today!! I've read all of Laura's books, and I'm counting down the days until her next release hits the shelves.

    I've done extensive genealogical research, and I've traced my ancestors back to 1630 when they arrive in America. One of my ancestors, Gideon Burdick, was a drummer boy for George Washington during the Battle of the Potomac.

    As far as my favorite Laura Frantz book, I will always say The Colonel's Lady, no matter how much I love her others. It was the first of Laura's books that I read, and the work of fiction that finally nudged me to start pursuing my own dream to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabrielle, has your drummer boy ancestor ever tempted you to jump to the Colonial era to write? I love that story!

      Delete
  2. I love these type historicals. My grandmother had an uncle in the civil war and had a letter from him but it when she tried to find it she couldn't. Would have been interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, a letter. Too bad it was lost. That's still a special story to have in your family!

      Delete
  3. Wow! You had me at the words "George MacDonald". He's my hero, you know, other than Daniel Boone:). It's such an honor to spend a Friday with you on your beautiful blog. Love the pic of you four! Now if I could only meet you all in person! I will have the pleasure of finally meeting Gabe at the Christian Fiction Readers Retreat. For now, I so appreciate you taking the time for Tall Acre as it is truly a book of the heart for me. Thanks for coordinating the giveaway, too. Off to share on social media. Bless you all so very much for your wonderful hospitality here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you coming to ACFW??? :/

      Delete
    2. Laura, I cannot wait to meet you in person!! Truly, it's one of the events I am most looking forward to this year. :)

      Delete
    3. Yay for George MacDonald, Laura! I've read everything that got republished of his when I was a girl. And I've reread some old favorites as an adult. Glad we made that connection. Many present day readers don't know him. And YES, we'll be at ACFW! Looking forward to finding some time for coffee together if we can squeeze it in!

      Delete
  4. Gabe, I just wanted to add what a blessing it is to hear you say that about TCL. I get blessed anew each time I hear it. Amazing how the gift of words has the domino effect in our writing lives. Thank you for giving back to me, too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep saying it, Laura! I'll never forget reading TCL and how enraptured I was with that story. After reading it, I immediately went to your blog and then discovered you on Facebook. I'm so thankful Amazon recommended the book to me, and I'm in awe of how God knew exactly what I needed to read to prompt my obedience in this area of my life. A blessing, indeed!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed Mistress At Tall Acre, and I hope to win a copy to reread and share. I have enjoyed all of Laura Frantz's books. I would recommend them to anyone who reads historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of Laura's books but would like to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaime, I'll miss ACFW this year & will be there for the reader retreat & Revell dinner. Would love to bump into you! Waving at Phyllis & Una!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I have ancestors that fought in the Revolutionary War--but I could not begin to explain how we're related except it's thru my grandmother somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat JJ, you'll have to think of them as you read this novel.

      Delete
  9. I've read and enjoyed several of Laura's books. My favorite is The Colonel's Lady. The Mistress of Tall Acre looks super! The Colonial period is very interesting! I recently watches a new BBC series, Poldark, set in England at that time. Thanks for the fun interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie! Great to see you here today! Polder is on my PBS list to watch!

      Delete
  10. I've read all of Laura's book, and this one is one of my favorites. I've researched one side of my family, and they were still in Ireland at this point in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but Ireland has so much interesting history KT! You might hear more about it this summer on the blog--my husband and I are visiting there! I can't wait!

      Delete
  11. I have never really done any research on my family tree. I don't think my mother side of the family was in America at the time, but I would guess that my fathers side of the family was. It would be fun to do some research and find out!

    I've enjoyed each of Laura's stand alone books, but haven't read her last series. I think I would have to agree that the Colonel's Lady was my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, the Colonel's Lady has the winning votes I believe! I think you would enjoy researching it sometime!

      Delete
  12. I cannot recommend a favorite Laura Frantz because I'm only half way through Love's Reckoning (my first by Laura).
    My dad and uncle have traced our genealogy back many generations. If we were related to someone famous or influential, they probably would have told me. I'll have to ask the next time we talk.

    @AmandaGeaney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so important to ask your older family members the stories now while they can pass them on to you! You are lucky you still have so many Laura-books to read still. I'm forced to wait for the next release!

      Delete
  13. I loved The Colonel's Lady, but really enjoy all of Laura's books. I have actually traced my family history back to a scotch-irish man who fought with the British during the Revolutionary War. After he was captured, he decided he'd been fighting on the wrong side so fought for the Colonists.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Laura Frantz's books...she transports you back in time! This is a wonderful story that keeps you guessing the ending right up to the last page! Can't wait for her next great novel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Colonel's Lady is my favorite Laura Frantz book. I don't know of any ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War, though I suspect it's possible. I did have some ancestors in this country at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of her best books! Love it so much. I have it only on kindle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love reading her books...They are hard to put down... A true joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love reading her books...They are hard to put down... A true joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love reading her books...They are hard to put down... A true joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love reading her books...They are hard to put down... A true joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. To answer both questions, not yet & no. It should be a crime that I have YET to read a book by her since I'm an avid reader, don't you think....lol! I have several on my Kindle and on my shelf.
    As far as family history, all I know is my branch of the family came from Prussia. I have no idea if we have a Revolutionary War hero or not. It would be neat if we did :-)

    Thanks for the review and book giveaway for "Mistress of Tall Acre", it has been on my most-wanted-to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trip, it is a crime! lol! Oooh, Prussia, interesting. :)

      Delete
    2. I have a relative of mine (I can't remember the relation, though) who has traced our branch of the family tree. She has a FB post and I really need to read it again! It's a fascinating history :-) Tofel and Anna are our starting point to our family. Like I said, they immigrated from Prussia!

      Delete
  22. Who won the giveaway? Rafflecopter isn't saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean Bean won! Thanks everyone for stoping by and visiting! :)

      Delete
    2. I don't see the name Jean Bean, is that you?!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)