Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A Holiday After-Party

I love holidays like the next person. It's the opportunity to lay back, stare up at the sky, and imagine. Dream, if you will. This holiday was that way for me more than previous years. My kids are finally of the age where, while there's still a hundred "mommy? mommy? mommy-s?" throughout the day, they can at least play on their own. 

So I chillaxed (a bit) and was able to finish one book and start another. I also fit in an episode of the British television show, Grantchester, and managed to get a light dusting of sunburn.

But now it's the day after. A lot of comments on Facebook this morning are a tad depressing. Like Monday blues times ten. So my goal today, is to make it a holiday AFTER-party. Meaning, why stop the happiness, right??

I took my daughter to Starbucks before work and school. (I'm still on a schedule, so that couldn't be compromised). I refilled my coffee when I came to work but actually took a few minutes out to socialize with coworkers. I planned out my lunch break so I can kick back and read and take a walk instead of my normal work-thru-lunch-break. AND, I decided that tonight we will play a rousing game of Old Maid and eat on the porch.

The concept of holiday, is rest and time with family. But somehow we allow life to creep in like an evil villain and capture every moment. Let's not do that today! I realize life is, well, LIFE! Maybe you're mourning the loss of a family member, or were just diagnosed with a terminal illness. Perhaps your week was like mine where our tractor, lawn mower, toilet, and air conditioner all broke and you're facing some pretty serious and potentially bank-account-fatal financial issues. Life can steal our joy, wrap it up in mud and grime, and stuff it down our throats until we gag. Or we can choose to find even the tiniest of blessings that the Lord sends to us and go, "yes." Yes to the holiday after-party, yes to a smile, and yes to even sixty seconds of much-needed rest.

How will you celebrate your after-party today?



_______________________________________


Professional coffee drinker and best-selling author, Jaime Jo Wright, resides in the hills of Wisconsin writing spirited and gritty turn-of- the-century romance stained with suspense. Her day job finds her working as a Director of Sales & Associate Relations. She’s wife to a rock climbing, bow-hunting Pre-K teacher, mom to a coffee-drinking little girl and a little boy she fondly refers to as her mischievous “Peter Pan.” Jaime completes her persona by being an admitted social media junkie and a coffee snob. She is a member of ACFW, has seen her work on both the ECPA and Publisher’s Weekly top ten best-sellers list for inspirational fiction, and has the best writing sisters ever!
twitter.com/jaimejowright
pinterest.com/jaimejowright
Instagram.com/jaimejowright
Periscope: @jaimejowright

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, perfectly written. Those joy suckers come out of nowhere and give us a big old punch in the face. :D The bank account drainers are commonly called "when it rains, it pours" over here. Somehow, God always provides. I agree - no need to stop the relaxing and enjoyment, I pick to see the good. I see the time spent waiting in the ER, with a child who picked the holiday weekend to split open her chin by testing her theory that she could fly, as a beautiful alone time with one on one interaction with said hilariously sweet child. Life is never dull - and I should be thankful for that. *raises coffee cup* Cheers! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEK! ER visits can throw a hitch in things :P

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)