Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Where's the baby?


Erica here:

A few years ago, my friend and fellow author Mary Connealy and I had a chat about stories that have babies in them. She was writing a story that had a baby, and she said the hardest thing was remembering that the baby always has to be somewhere!

I remembered this last year as I was writing my novella The Trail Boss's Bride. I love this story! A rough and tumble trail boss trying to get his herd to market comes across a fresh widow who is in labor! He has to help her deliver her baby, but his crew kicks up a fuss about having a woman along on the trail. Until the camp cook quits, and the widow takes over the job.

One thing I learned while writing this story is that you have to know where the baby is every minute! Mary was sure right! This story is a romance, where the hero and heroine need time together in order to fall in love, but you can't just toss the baby in a drawer while you progress the romance.

Having a big cast of characters helped, since someone could be holding the baby girl when the heroine was busy. I also had one of the cowboys make a cradle board, so that the heroine could carry the baby on her back and have her hands free while working around the campfire.

I also had to find ways for the baby to bring the couple together. After all, is there anything more heartwarming than a big, rough ol' cowboy holding a newborn? Having my cowboy fall in love with the baby at the same time he fell in love with her mama...swoon!

What's your favorite book that has a baby in it?

You can purchase The Trail Boss's Bride for just $2.99, and you can find out all the ways I kept track of the baby in the story!

Click this link!!!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Trail-Bosss-Bride-inspirational-ebook/dp/B014FXDGQC


Executive Assistant
Earl Grey Aficionado
Find me on PINTEREST
Find me on GOODREADS
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK

14 comments:

  1. LOL, the baby always has to be somewhere....true problem in real life, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just? But it's so much easier to forget them on paper... :D

      Delete
    2. One would think! Can't the character hire a nanny and forget about them? LOL!

      Delete
    3. That happens a lot, actually, in fiction. Until you need the baby, he's in the nursery with the nanny! :)

      Delete
  2. This is also why I don't write books with dogs. The dog always has to be somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding that out, the heroes of my last three books have had dogs! Those rascals are hard to keep track of!

      Delete
  3. I remember years ago, a friend had started watching some kinda off-the-wall British soap opera, early days of cable I suppose.
    And they had a baby on the soap and the baby just CRIED all the time. No matter what else was going on, anytime they had a scene with the parents of that baby it was either crying in their arms or crying in the other room.
    We thought that was so funny because it's so much more TRUE than the usual way they handle babies which is to ... I guess ... have them in a perpetual nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would drive today's viewers BONKERS! But you're right, a crying baby is sure true to life! :)

      Delete
  4. Even toddlers are easier. They talk, they can interact, but babies, yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that is difficult with toddlers/children in books is not making them either too precocious and advanced, or too young for their age. You almost have to hang out with a variety of children in the age you want to portray in order to get a feel for what they are capable of saying/doing at that age.

      Delete
  5. this is hilarious to think about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny until I write two chapters and remember I left the baby asleep in the wagon for two straight days! LOL!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post Erica,and so true! Many a time I'll read a story (or watch a tv show) and a big fuss will be made when the baby is born,but then is forgotten after that.A great example of this (at least on tv) was Little Ricky on I Love Lucy . His birth set a ratings record,but after that he was in the nursery or being babysat by Mrs. Trumble. As, for a favorite baby story,one of them is one of yours called Lily and the Lawman. I love how the hero,Trace warms up to Baby Rose right off the bat! (Oh,and just wanted to say thanks for providing a link to buy The Trail Boss's Bride looks like a great story!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, little baby Rose! Trace was putty in her hands, wasn't he?

      I had forgotten about Little Ricky! He went from infant to preschooler in a heartbeat, too! :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)