Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Of Mustaches and Men



 As a historical writer, I often find things in history I'd prefer to do without. For example, did you know that facial hair was the "in thing" with men of the time. Really? Half the pictures I see of the 19th Century male looks like their face collided with a gorilla's. Ok. Fine. I'm married to a man with facial hair. But he's a rock climber, and it's done in that wildernessy-rugged sort of way that screams "I'M COOL!". Guy to the left? Not so much. I think his razor slipped and hit his chin.

I'm trying to picture the historically correct kissing scene in my WIP. Let me show you why mustaches don't work for me...

"She saw him lean in, intent behind his black eyes--eyes that had haunted her from the first moment she had met them. She waited, could smell the cinnamon on his breath and then--featherlight ... his mustache hair tickled her nose. She drew in a quick breath and horror! It tickled the inside of her nostril and she felt a sneeze building. His kiss was prickly--like a bristled porcupine. Her sneeze erupted, ruining the moment, and causing his black eyes to widen in disgust."

HOW DOES A MUSTACHE POSSIBLY ADD TO ROMANTIC TENSION?

Do I sacrifice historical accuracy for the faddish attractions of current women? Sure, there were some clean shaven men in 1875, but do a Google search for old Victorian pictures. Lotsa lotsa need for Gillette Razors, I tell ya.

Whatever. My hero, for the time being, is going to remain clean shaven. I can't do it. I just can't buy into the 19th Century pension to wear fur on their face.

Thoughts?
_______________________________________________

Professional coffee drinker, Jaime Jo Wright, resides in the hills of Wisconsin. She loves to write
spirited turn-of-the-century romance, stained with suspense. Her day job finds her as a Director of Sales & Development. She’s wife to a rock climbing, bow-hunting Pre-K teacher, mom to a coffee-drinking little girl, and a little boy she fondly refers to as her mischievous “Peter Pan”. Jaime completes her persona by being an admitted social media junkie and coffee snob. She is a member of ACFW, best-selling author, and has the best writing sisters EVER!

ECPA Bestselling - "The Cowgirl's Lasso", The Cowboy Bride's Novella Collection - Barbour Publishing

"Gold Haven Heiress", California Gold Rush Romance Collection - Barbour Publishing - COMING AUGUST 2016

Visit Jaime's web site: jaimejowright.com
Email Jaime - jaimejowright at gmail dot com
Like Jaime on Facebook
Friend Jaime on Twitter
Meet Jaime on Pinterest

11 comments:

  1. Reminds me of two things: 1. Andy Griffith Show where Millie said kissing Howard was like kissing a Fuller Brush. 2. I read somewhere that men during the time when Jesus was on earth, probably had short beards or no beards at all because of lice and other varmits, yuck.
    Maybe you could use that in one of your novels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you. I can handle the five-o'clock shadow all day long, but NOT a full blown mustache or beard. I just cannot do it. I can't read about it because I picture the tickling and road rash that a scratchy, hairy beard gives you. LOL. Ok, that was my two cents. My hubby tried growing a mustache and beard once. I wouldn't kiss him. ;) I just don't like facial hair more than the deep 5 o'clock shadow. I know people like different things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has a goatee, and for some reason, i'm ok with that. But dude in the pic above?!? It's like MAKE UP YOUR MIND! Either have one or don't have one! :)

      Delete
  3. I dare a publisher to put a hero with a 'stache like that on the cover. LOL!!!

    But I hear facial hair is coming back into style, in combination with the man-bun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My man was clean shaven for the first decade of our marriage. I thought I would never like a bearded man and he didn't think he'd like wearing so much facial hair.
    We decided to give it a try just to say we did and I love it! He is glad there's no more shaving (sensitive skin) and I can't get enough of my extra manly man. The hair is soft and all he does is keep it washed, trimmed, and oiled.
    Can't say I am a fan of the bushy face guy above or the Duck Dynasty style beard but a nice 1/2 beard is irresistible (to me, on my man)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My man was clean shaven for the first decade of our marriage. I thought I would never like a bearded man and he didn't think he'd like wearing so much facial hair.
    We decided to give it a try just to say we did and I love it! He is glad there's no more shaving (sensitive skin) and I can't get enough of my extra manly man. The hair is soft and all he does is keep it washed, trimmed, and oiled.
    Can't say I am a fan of the bushy face guy above or the Duck Dynasty style beard but a nice 1/2 beard is irresistible (to me, on my man)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not impossible to write. Guy de Maupassant figured out how to do it in one of his short stories. Maybe because he's a guy it's a biased account?

    "Whence comes this charm of the mustache, will you tell me? Do I know myself? It tickles your face, you feel it approaching your mouth and it sends a little shiver through you down to the tips of your toes.

    And on your neck! Have you ever felt a mustache on your neck? It intoxicates you, makes you feel creepy, goes to the tips of your fingers. You wriggle, shake your shoulders, toss back your head. You wish to get away and at the same time to remain there; it is delightful, but irritating. But how good it is!"

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)