Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Unexpected Twists & Fur Babies



My morning took an unexpected turn. I'm late posting this blog because my plan was to get to the coffee shop around 8:30 and start work. I have a zillion company evals to proof and get back to managers and supervisors. But my cat Maddie, the black one hiding in the blankets in the pic to the left, was hissing and growling and meowing.

She's a normally affectionate cat and one of my two kitty-babies. (I know, it's disgusting how I melt around them) After inspection, her rear left leg is definitely sprained or worse, cracked. She cannot put weight on it. :(

I called my vet-friend who will be helping me take care of her. In the meantime, Maddie has been wrapped in a Tinkerbelle fleece blanket and nestled into her kitty bed in the garage (they're outside cats due to my husband's horrendous allergies, but highly spoiled). Water, food, litter box ....

I'm at the coffee shop now, and I realized something.

I am a closet sap. When it comes to my cats, I turn into an oozing puddle of mush. I want to sweep her up and take her in for Xrays, surgery, steroid shots, whatever . . . but the bank account screams its protests and my country-girl upbringing resonates the words "it's only a cat".

But she's my cat. So I'm hoping today, Maddie is comfy and cozy. She has been given some pain medication per the instructions of my vet friend. I'd sure like to sit in a lazy boy chair today with Maddie on my lap, though. Poor baby.

Do you have a pet? A fur baby? Something that melts your stiff exterior into a pile of goop?

____________________________________________________


Professional coffee drinker, Jaime Jo Wright, resides in the hills of Wisconsin. She loves to write spirited turn-of-the-century romance, stained with suspense. Her day job finds her as a Director of Sales & Development. She’s wife to a rock climbing, bow-hunting Pre-K teacher, mom to a coffee-drinking little girl, and a little boy she fondly refers to as her mischievous “Peter Pan”. Jaime completes her persona by being an admitted social media junkie and coffee snob. She is a member of ACFW and has the best writing sisters EVER!

"The Cowgirl's Lasso", The Cowboy Bride's Novella Collection - Barbour Publishing - COMING MARCH 2016

"Gold Haven Heiress", California Gold Rush Romance Collection - Barbour Publishing - COMING AUGUST 2016

Visit Jaime's web site: jaimejowright.com
Email Jaime - jaimejowright at gmail dot com
Like Jaime on Facebook
Friend Jaime on Twitter
Meet Jaime on Pinterest

7 comments:

  1. I do have a fur-baby cat who is totally spoiled and is currently sitting on the arm of my chair purring like a bulldozer on idle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a fur baby. He did not know he was a dog. He needed a lot of care the last two years of his life. He was happy until the last week. We are coming on seven years without him and I miss him every single day. People have said "he was just a dog, get over it" they do not understand. I understand your desire to just cuddle up and comfort your kitty. You said they are outdoor cats, do you have kitty condos for them? My brother built some for my nieces cats. They love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, pets certainly do become a part of the family, don't they? I don't have kitty condos, but we have several outbuildings since we live in the woods. At night, they are ready to go into the enclosed and locked garage with their pillows and blankets, litter box, food, water, and comforts :)

      Delete
  3. AWw, poor thing! I grew up on a farm where animals came and went and that was what we were taught and told - it's just a ____, get over it. But deep down I have a gooey heart for cats (and almost all animals) and feel the way you do. I'm a tomboy, but those little eyes just get me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! That's how I was raised too. The idea of spending $$ on vet bills was capped at about $50. lol Which is why I'm thankful for having a close friend who's pretty much for all sakes and purposes a vet herself. She just doesn't run an office. It helps.

      Delete
  4. Jaime, I had an 11 year old Golden Retriever, Happy. I got him when he was 8 weeks old. He was my child. I lost him to cancer even after surgery to remove the tumor.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)