Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Tricky, Mixed-Up Romance @BarbourBuzz - from Susanne Dietze


Today, I'm THRILLED to have Susanne Dietze to fill in for me on this hectic week at my job. She is a fellow author in The Cowboy's Bride novella collection, and I figured it was high time I stopped yakking about me and highlight one of my fellow contributors. I gave Susie the floor for today, so here is this beautiful soul ... ENJOY

________________________________________

Thanks for inviting me to Coffee Cups & Camisoles, Jaime! I am delighted to be in The Cowboy’s Bride Collection with you, and I appreciate you asking about the inspiration for my novella, For a Song!

Like many of us, I love cowboy romances. I also enjoy romances that are founded on a mix-up—maybe because my real life has been full of detours and re-routes, and more often than not, they’re times when God set me on a better path.

How delightful to set up my characters in a tricky, mixed-up situation, too! Right away, I imagined that my 1850’s Texas hero, Jackson, would be struggling as a widowed dad. Naturally, as a rancher in somewhat isolated conditions, he’d have to place orders for any items not carried in his small community’s general store. Things like books, dolls and clothes for his young daughter, refining touches for the house. What if he ordered an item and received something else instead—like the
heroine, Lily?

Crazy, of course. But I love crazy.

Neither Jackson nor Lily is looking for a spouse. He just wants a purchase from up north, and she just wants a job to provide for herself and her sister. So what could Lily do or be that could be misconstrued in a merchandise order?

I made a list of possibilities, but it didn’t take long to figure out Lily was a singer. A “songbird,” with a goal to be the next Jenny Lind (which inspired much of Lily’s background and her need to cling to her Lind souvenir token). And if Lily is a songbird, naturally, what Jackson wants is an honest-to-goodness bird, beak, wings, feathers and all.

But of course, someone has to make the mistake and cause the trouble. Maybe, instead of ordering from a store, Jackson should ask his Great Aunt Martha to bring the songbirds with her. Too bad she can’t read his handwriting that well.

Inspiration is all around us, and I found additional nudges throughout my little universe. Lily sounds just like my friend Suzanne, who sings like a proverbial angel. Georgie, Jackson’s daughter, has a little bit of my own children in her. A picture on the internet made me smack my head and say, “Of course I need a cat in this story!” (PIC OF LITTLE GIRL WITH BIRDCAGE ON PINTEREST)

Most of all, I find inspiration in family love. Romances aren’t just about romantic love, to me. They’re also about characters growing in their love of God, and then sharing that love with the world. In For a Song, Jackson’s daughter needs love; so does Great Aunt Martha. Everybody needs to be better off than when they started.

And sometimes, God uses mix-ups to get us there.

___________________________________________________________

Woo! Sounds like a fun-loving story and set in the west, you just can't go wrong if love a good romance. And Susie is as nice and warm as she sounds in her words above! :) Jaime's-honor!

Here' s a blurb about her novella:

Two songbirds, red and yellow—a straightforward order for an upstanding widowed rancher’s lonely daughter. But when a sister-act of saloon singers (a redhead and a blonde) arrives on the stagecoach expecting him to give them a job, his daughter changes her tune and starts singing not for a pet, but a pretty ginger-haired Mama.
Susanne Dietze began writing love stories in high school, casting her friends in the starring roles. Today, she writes in the hope that her historical romances will encourage and entertain others. A pastor’s wife and mom of two, she loves fancy-schmancy tea parties, travel, and curling up on the couch with a costume drama and a plate of nachos. Susanne is the author of over half-dozen historical romances; her latest, For a Song, is in Barbour’s The Cowboy’s Bride Collection, and she’ll be back this autumn with The Honeymoon Express in The Rails to Love Collection. You can visit her on her website, www.susannedietze.com.


Susanne’s Links:


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SusanneDietzeBooks

Website: www.susannedietze.com

Blog: www.susannedietze.blogspot.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SusanneDietze

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Susanne-Dietze/e/B00O3MR63A/

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13657688.Susanne_Dietze



7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me today, Jaime! I am beyond thrilled to be in this collection with you. (Here's hoping we can work together again soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, it is so good to "see" you here at CC&C! Thank you for the reminder that we are all on different paths. Some of those paths include detours. May we find joy in our journey. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caryl! So good to see you, too! Yes, we are all on unique paths, and many times, God has set me on detours to protect me! Blessings to you, too.

      Delete
  3. What an adorable story! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica! Waving! Thanks for having me here on CC&C!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Susanne and Jaime for this fun post! I can't wait to read your story,Susanne. Sounds terrific,In fact can't wait to get a copy and read all these wonderful stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne! You are so sweet. I hope you get to read the stories soon. Jaime's is terrific!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)