Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly . . . of a Book Release

It's the week before my novella releases, and things are a bit crazy in cybersphere. I wonder how it used to be, to release a book, before the world of social media? Regardless, I have fallen smack in the middle of preparing to launch this baby into the world for readers all over to either embrace it, or throw it across the room.

There's a few behind-the-scenes things you should know about authors when we prepare for book releases . . .

The Good:

Initial Excitement
Awe that it's finally happening
Thrill to see your name in print
Joy to read your own words in a bound book
Satisfaction to watch your parents cry when they see you've realized your dreams

It all sort winds up looking like this . . .



The Bad:

Is that typo? No. Whew. Wait. Is that another one?  . . . eek . . . overanalyzing at its worst
Wait. A release? But I just received edits on my next book due in 2 weeks and I have another editor waiting for my rewrites by March 1st and . . . I HAVE A DAY JOB!!!
Oh sure. Great time to get the cold of the century (pass the Kleenex please)

It all sort of winds up looking like this . . .






The Ugly:

Dear God, they're going to hate me
I knew it. I knew my writing stunk
Worst story I ever wrote.
Coffee, where out of coffee? Not funny
Shoot. People at church are buying my book. Maybe I should offer refunds during the offeratory
Why couldn't I kill people in this book, it would've made it soooo much better!?!?!

It all sort of winds up looking like this . . .




















So whoever told you the life of an author was glamorous, thrilling, exciting, and always amazing . . . they probably drink water. Give them some coffee and the world will suddenly become very, very real.

March 1st . . . big launch day!!! don't forget to join us!

______________________________



Professional coffee drinker, Jaime Jo Wright, resides in the hills of Wisconsin. She loves to write spirited turn-of-the-century romance, stained with suspense. Her day job finds her as a Director of
Sales & Development. She’s wife to a rock climbing, bow-hunting Pre-K teacher, mom to a coffee-drinking little girl, and a little boy she fondly refers to as her mischievous “Peter Pan”. Jaime completes her persona by being an admitted social media junkie and coffee snob. She is a member of ACFW and has the best writing sisters EVER!

"The Cowgirl's Lasso", The Cowboy Bride's Novella Collection - Barbour Publishing - COMING MARCH 2016

"Gold Haven Heiress", California Gold Rush Romance Collection - Barbour Publishing - COMING AUGUST 2016


Visit Jaime's web site: jaimejowright.com
Email Jaime - jaimejowright at gmail dot com
Like Jaime on Facebook
Friend Jaime on Twitter
Meet Jaime on Pinterest

11 comments:

  1. "So whoever told you the life of an author was glamorous, thrilling, exciting, and always amazing . . . they probably drink water."
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

    This was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a roller coaster ride, isn't it?! But you are on the ride!! I'm super proud of you. God's got you. And I'm saying a prayer for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ENJOY the journey! You have worked so hard for this moment. You are surrounded by many who love you. The Lord has you in the palm of His Hand. ((((((HUGS))))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your honesty!! You're in good company, I'm sure. Hoping and praying the feelings of excitement outweigh all the others. :) Proud of you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, Jaime! :) I'm so excited for you and can't wait to read this wonderful collection!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)