Monday, February 1, 2016

Monday's Devo: Breadsticks & Pop

When seven college-aged young adults crash your empty nest for the weekend, the first thing you do on a Friday night is....order pizza! Right?


There were back packs, laundry bags, laptops, pillows, blankets, drinks, and snacks strewn all about our not-so-empty nest. It was awesome. Our usual two-pizza order for our family of four turned into four pizzas, and two orders of breadsticks and pop. Carb-city...bring it!! We were starving.


By the time the pizza delivery lady made it five miles out of town to our dirt road location, we just took the boxes gladly, paid her, and sent her on her way. Moments later, gathered around our delicious smelling pizzas, we realized she'd forgotten the pop and breadsticks. I quickly called the company back, thinking she just needed to turn back. But no. She'd forgotten that part of the order and had to drive an additional ten miles to town and back. Awww. Shucks.

My son though, felt bad for her and insisted we tip her again when she returned. I, admittedly a bit annoyed, explained that I'd already tipped generously the first time. But Ben insisted that she was having a bad night. So, I grabbed a few odd dollars that happened to be laying on the counter and tossed it at him, saying "go ahead, if you feel so strongly about it."

We prayed, filled our plates, sacked out on the couches, and started filling our stomachs.


Halfway through my first piece of pizza, the delivery lady rapped on the back door and Ben jumped up and invited her inside. He took the order and handed her the extra tip. She looked entirely embarrassed and apologized profusely. Her voice was clearly upset by it as she went on to explain that it had been a terrible day and she just wasn't thinking straight.

I stood and moved toward her asking why her week was so awful. I sensed three or four of my daughter's friends move close in behind me as I stood next to the woman. She explained that she'd just heard right before her shift that her cousin had been struck by a car while walking across the street and has been in a coma for two weeks. The woman was near tears as my daughter exclaimed, "oh, just let us pray for you!"

The lady's face nearly crumpled as she nodded her consent. I laid my hand on her shoulder as my family and friends gathered around the pizza lady and thanked God that she'd forgotten the pop and breadsticks, and that it had brought her back to us for a greater blessing that she needed. We prayed for peace, healing, and focus for her work. When the prayer was over, she trembled and wiped tears away as she asked if she could have a hug. I swooped her into my arms and squeezed hard. 

She clung, as if to a life preserver. I felt her still trembling in my arms.
I wanted God to give her more than a hug and a tip.

She released me and half smiled, thanking us all. We blessed her and told her, our house is the Love house, that's what we do here. We wished her well and parted ways.

That encounter filled us more than the pizza did. And of course, my son exclaimed, "see Mom, I told you!"

He was listening to that still small voice that saw into the situation.

What a wonderful reminder that we all need to take a deeper look.
Listen more carefully to that still small voice of the Spirit.
Offer love, hugs, and prayers.
Pray for healing.
Even with pizza delivery ladies.


Suddenly breadsticks and pop reminded me more of bread and wine.
His body and blood poured out for me. A much greater gift than an undeserved tip.
Mercy.
Grace.
Love.
Healing--by His stripes.

Next time I take communion, 
I'll be thinking of breadsticks and pop.

Luke 22:18 & 19 "…for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine from now on until the kingdom of God comes."And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 20And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.…"

Next time I pray for greater boldness to step out in faith, I'll be on the lookout for unconventional encounters!
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook 
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Twitter
Find me on: Goodreads 

12 comments:

  1. That was beautiful and just like the Lord. Stories like this just reaffirm the existence and enabling of the Holy Spirit, as well, as the personal care that God has for each one of us individually.

    A side note. I noticed your lovely collection of Laura Frantz and Lori Benton books on you shelves. Do your other books have a certain pattern on your shelves? I noticed Tamera Alexander, Deeanne Gist, and Julie Klassen books, but not entire collections. Are they decorative or just favorites from these authors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...and just like the Lord..." So true, Sylvia. So true.
      As for the books, they are my favorites. I've read everything of Laura's except her latest. Tamera and Deeanne are favorites too and I have most of this collections, but due to limited space, I've held onto only my all time faves. Julie's are still on my TBR list. Do you ever have that moment where you hold out starting a new author you know you'll love, just so you know you'll have an option when the mood strikes?

      Delete
  2. Our kids teach us each day don't they, even the grown ones. Last night after church I learned something from my grown daughter. She pulled through a drive through restaurant to buy supper for her family (I had rode to church with her). After paying for her order she asked the cashier to also pay for the car behind us. Wow! Nothing I had ever taught her, it was all God!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's sweet, Gail. Child-like faith. Hanging around it keeps me young and out of the ruts!

      Delete
  3. Anne, thank you for sharing this beautiful testimony of His Love! Your family is a wonderful example for loving those around us! Blessings to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes God accomplishes His deeds even inspite of us. I had to wonder if she would have felt the same blessing had the kids not been there. It was really and truly a divine appointment that I just felt privileged to witness.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. There should be a word for this, somewhere in the English language. That wow feeling when God shows up. My roommate and friend in college used to say, "ZWAH"

      Delete
  5. I love this, Anne! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. Glad you got a blessing out of it!

      Delete
  6. This is a beautiful story. There is no coincidence with God. Thank you for sharing! I pray that we all will be able to listen to that small voice and not dismiss what God have planned for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this story God plopped into my week!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)