Thursday, February 18, 2016

Finding a Cover Model

I love so many things about writing, but one of the hardest things for me to do is find actors or models who resemble my characters. This is a necessary component when it comes to cover design, so I have to research carefully. It usually takes me a long time to find just the right model.

Part of the reason it takes me so long, is because I write historical fiction and I would much prefer to use historical photos. Sometimes that's impossible, so I look for actors who have been in historical settings. If I have my heart set on one actor or actress in particular, I try my best.

For instance, in my upcoming Love Inspired Historical, A Mother in the Making, which releases in September, I pictured Kate Hudson as the heroine. Kind of feisty, quirky, charming, and loveable. I don't know of any historical setting she's ever been in, but I did find a picture of her in a long, yellow gown from How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days.


To help the cover design team, I had to show them clothing from the time period, 1918. So, along with this picture of Kate, I sent these pictures:





As for my hero, he's a widower and a bit older than the heroine. He's a doctor, distinguished and a bit authoritarian in the beginning. I pictured one of my favorite actors of all time, James Garner. Here's the picture I sent the design team:


Again, I needed to set him firmly in 1918, so I sent these pictures along to help the cover design team:




 
Once I found the pictures of my characters, it was fun to find their clothing and accessories. It was almost like dressing a doll when I was a child. 
 
I also had to provide three scenes from the book that could potentially make a good cover scene. I had to provide descriptions and pictures for that, as well. I'll share those next week.
 
Your Turn: What is your favorite book cover of all time? I have quite a few, but one that pops out at me is Fancy Pants, by Cathy Marie Hake. I remember seeing it for the first time several years ago, and it set the mood for the book.
 
 
Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website
 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Gabrielle! It's so fun to see what goes into cover design. Plus seeing all these images makes me much more curious about your book, and I can't wait to see what the cover ends up looking like :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Great inside scoop! I always wondered about covers since many times, the covers are my first impression of the book, even before the author(s) name.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)