Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Editing the Edited Edits

Ever finish a project, love it, then a bit later realize it needs some serious work? This happens often as a writer. I recently received some amazing feedback on the last manuscript I wrote, and now, I am deep in the throes of rewrites.

But here's a secret:

I LOVE EDITING MY EDITS!!!

Editing is my favorite part of writing. The first draft is ridiculously painful. Like trying to remember events that never actually happened (I stole that off a meme on FB). But once the "memories" are there and on paper, I love to re-read them and expound. Add and subtract scenes, lines, descriptions. It makes a story richer.

And when I receive feedback and constructive criticism?

GLORIOUS! I love it. In fact, this most recent go-round of edits, I printed it out and physically rearranged the chapters into an entirely different timeline. And guess what? It's an even cooler story for it! (I think. lol). So currently, chapter 6 is now chapter 21, and chapter 19 turned into chapter 4. I have a few more scenes to write, some loose ends I hadn't noticed that I need to tie up, and some character building to do. It's a lot of fun.

So, off I go . . . back to the year 1905, a murder, a romance, and missing baby. We'll see what happens when I add a few more clues ;)

Any suggestions? :)

3 comments:

  1. Suggestions on how to get the memories to the paper? They'really in my head, but the hand isn'the cooperating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suggestions on how to get the memories to the paper? They'really in my head, but the hand isn'the cooperating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was little curios i tried on my sisters , it was just like wearing tshirt.
    camisoles

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)