Friday, January 8, 2016

YAHOO! @JessicaRPatch Releases a #SuspenseNovel


We are so thrilled to host Jessica Patch here on our blog. She is one stellar lady and the read of her novel Fatal Reunion will be a delicious experience. It's so great to have her here today!
________________________

Thanks so much, ladies, for having me here. Happy New Year!

What authors do you like to read? Oh my. I have so many. I think I read most everyone in the CBA! And I also read in the General Market. I’ve become a big, big fan of Carrie Stuart Parks (suspense/thriller). She really needs to write faster. :)

What book or books have had a strong influence on you or your writing? If I’m being honest, I’d have to say my first love affair with books was the Sweet Valley High. Well, not my first love affair because I adored Ramona, Little House on the Prairie and such. But I loved the melodrama and romance/triangles in Sweet Valley High and then of course, Nora Roberts. Long before I realized there was a Christian market, I devoured many of her books.

What’s more important: characters or plot? Can’t have one without the other. I think they’re equally important. When I’m writing a contemporary romance, the characters talk to me first—who they are, what they want. In a suspense, the plot typically comes and the characters insert themselves and open up while trying to stay alive.

Is there one subject you would never write about as an author and what would it be? A subject? I never say never. I’ll write about anything God tells me to and I don’t want to limit Him by drawing a line. I typically like to tackle edgier topics. Read my novellas. It can be done tastefully.

How important are names to you in your books and how do you choose them? Oh! So very important. Typically, they name themselves and then when I look up what the names mean, it has a lot to do with the story or their personality. So I pretty much say, “It’s a team effort. Them, me, & God.”

What secret talents do you have? Because here at the CCC blog we have all kinds of them ;) I have the inane ability to interrupt a conversation with song lyrics that pertain to the conversation. I have several friends that call me “iTunes.” I can also apply a Friends TV quote to any topic as well. I’m kinda proud of it all.

What were you like as a child? Steady-going like our Anne, a tornado like Jaime, and adventurous soul like Erica, or an avid-reader like Gabrielle? As a child (not a teenager) I was bossy but well-mannered. I like to read a LOT and make up stories with my Barbies and babies. I did this pretty much every day. Carried the storyline out like a soap opera. I did like adventure, without getting dirty. I don’t much care to be filty. Sundresses, pig tails, barbies, babies, and books. That was me.

Characters often find themselves in situations they aren't sure they can get themselves out of. When was the last time you found yourself in a situation that was hard to get out of and what did you do? I find myself in sticky situations often because I forget to turn on my filter. I typically use humor to slide my way out. But in storms, serious storms, I go to the Rock, baby. My Shelter in the storm. My best friend. The lover of my soul. And I let Jesus defend me or get me through whatever it may be.

What’s your writing goals for 2016? Well, I have another book coming out in June (Protective Duty) and possibly one late in 2016, but more likely January 2017. My 4th Love Inspired Suspense book is due in May, so I ought to write that at some point. :) And I plan to work on an Indie series to release in 2017. I hope, anyway. We’ll see where God takes me. I have a book on submission and a Bible study. So lots going on! Which is a good thing.

Lastly, will you leave us with a snippet from your book that is one of your favorites and gives us a glimpse into its pages? My heroine (Piper) is a black belt in karate and owns a doja. She’s scrappy, tough, and capable of taking care of herself. She’ll stop at nothing to find out who hurt her grandmother and is trying to kill her. And if that means bypassing a former love who’s a homicide detective (Luke), she will.

An elderly man shuffled across the floor with a pile of chips, and Piper nearly careened into him.

Smoky appeared at the end of a nickel slot machine row, a grin on his face as he looked back at Luke cuffing the big guy. You just wish you were home-free, Willis Fitzgerald.

Piper erupted from the side and tackled Smoky, his head nailing the carpet with a thud. She pressed his cheek into the floor. He deserved the carpet burn.

An older woman squealed and onlookers surrounded her like a SWAT team.

Luke split the crowd and stared down at her, the big guy in front of him with a scowl on his face.

Piper wasn’t sure if Luke was appalled or amazed. Either way. This punk was hers. She craned her neck at Luke. “Don’t worry. I didn’t put him under arrest for ya.”

“Well, it’s the little things that bring me pleasure.”



You can contact me at: jessica@jessicarpatch.com

Connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and my website.

____________________________________________

This book is so much fun! Believe me. The spitfire that is Piper and the tension between her and Luke, delicious. Have I said delicious yet? 

You can purchase it on Amazon. Don't waste time. Go. NOW! :)

And enter to win a copy!


a Rafflecopter giveaway

17 comments:

  1. Romantic suspense is especially great to me if it gets my heart pounding and little sounds (whether real or imagined) in my house keep me on edge. The good ones are real page turners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I like to really feel the suspense and stay on edge. The worst is when I forget to bring a glass of water to bed and I'm too scared to tiptoe downstairs and yet, thirsty. :)

      Delete
  2. Jessica, I love that you can apply quotes from Friends to any life situation. I never got into that show but I'm a real Andy Griffith Show fan and I can do the same as you with that show. Sometimes from the I Love Lucy show as well. Can you guess my age now, LOL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I like both of those shows too, but I can't quote anything too much except Gomer Pyle, Shazam, and Lucille Ball crying. I can do waaaaaahhhhh really well! LOL

      Delete
  3. Love the excitement in a romance suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, Jessica! I totally relate to sundress, pigtails, Barbies, babies, and books! I think you and I would have been best friends as children. :) So excited for you and your writing career. Congrats and thanks for coming to the blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have never read any of your books Jessica, but it your books sounds so good. I can't wait to read it. Congrats on the release of Fatal Reunion. Have a Blessed Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing about Carrie Stuart Parks. I'm going to have check out one of her books. I've been a long time suspense fan and the romantic element just seems to add to the tension in the story. I like edge-of-the-seat suspense and would love to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the romantic suspense because sometimes just one or the other is not exciting enough. It is good to have more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the suspense.. the romance is just a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm new to Romance Suspense but already falling hard. I love the sweet romance parts but the mystery aspect that keeps us guessing. Annie JC

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liove Love Inspired Suspense. It keeps me on edge and wanting to know what happens next. The romance is a sweet bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Romantic Suspense is new to me, but I'm looking forward to reading Fatal Reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to get ahold of this one!!! I've really gotten into suspense and thrillers lately, I'm sure I've shortened my life expectancy a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think in romantic suspense there are so many delicious opportunities for high emotion and therefore displays of affection (*coughcough* - KISSING) :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)