Thursday, January 14, 2016

What Era Would You Choose?

I recently finished Julie Klassen's newest novel, The Painter's Daughter, set in England in 1815. When I closed the book I thought to myself the same thing I think every time I read a good book: I would love to live in that time period! I love the formal meals, the dancing, the etiquette, the large homes, the servants -- maybe I should clarify, I would love to be the Lady of the manor in 1815 and not the servant, definitely not the servant.

When I read Laura Frantz' The Colonel's Lady I wanted to live during the Revolutionary War on the Kentucky frontier. When I read Lynn Austin's Candle in the Darkness, I wanted to go back in time to the Civil War Era on a southern plantation. And when I read my all time favorite series by Maud Hart Lovelace (Betsy Books) I dreamt about living in a Minnesota town during the Turn of the Twentieth Century - if only for a day.

The beauty of a book is that it transports you to a different time and place, without the discomforts of reality.

To be honest, I like the idea of living in those time periods, but if push came to shove, I'd probably stay where I am.  Because who would have chosen to live through the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, while our country was being ravished and lives were being torn apart? And who would want to live during the Turn of the Century when there were no microwaves or dishwashers? Although, I think I could have managed if I had a servant.

Hindsight (and the skills of a talented writer!) can make any era look attractive over time. Who knows, maybe someday people will wish they could have lived during 2016. Maybe.  

The closest I'll ever come to living during the
Turn of the Twentieth Century. This is a picture
of me reenacting Evangeline Lindbergh in 1917
at the Charles A. Lindbergh Historic Site.
If given the chance to go back in time, I would choose to live during the period between 1890-1915. What's not to love about this time? It was a fun and exciting period in America History. Inventions were making life easier for the common man and allowing people the freedom for leisure activities. Clothing was beautiful, automobiles were all the rage, singing and dancing around the piano on a Saturday night was the norm and attending a movie matinee on Sunday afternoon was a weekly occurrence. Not to mention, servants were abundant! Side note: what ever happened to servants???

What about you? Have you ever read a book and wished you could step into that time and place? If you could choose one era to visit for a day, which would it be and why?
 
Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website

1 comment:

  1. When I think about our "easy" life I don't think I could realistically go back in time. I couldn't survive on one bath a week or other hygiene issues they faced.
    But if you are there and know no different you wouldn't miss what we have I guess.
    I enjoy the 40 and 50s time period. I love Lucy and such. I would love to have her wardrobe she wore on the show.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)