Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Field Trip!

Erica Here: This past week, my kids and I had a field trip. This was the first in a long time, though it used to be our common practice. Now that the kids are grown up and we're no longer homeschooling, it's hard to get a time when everyone is off work.

But things all came together for last Friday. The kids and I had a great day.

The first stop was in Cannon Falls, MN, to a yarn shop. My daughter is an avid crocheter and knitter, and I'm so glad we stopped. I found some cool yarn for a baby blanket, and she found lots of yarn for lots of stuff!


Then, because we could, we stopped for an early lunch in Apple Valley at Chick Fil A.


Then we trekked west to Shakopee to shop at Eagle Creek Quilt Shop, which is charmingly housed in the antique Shakopee train depot. What a wonderful shop, with cheerful, helpful, knowledgeable folks.



Since I had Heather with me, and I wanted to make a quilt for her, it was so fun to have her pick out the fabrics and pattern. She decided on "Viewpoints" by Laundry Basket Quilts. Isn't it cute? I can't wait to get started...of course, I have to finish quilting my current project first...



After we finished up at the quilt shop, it was off to the Minnesota Historical Society to take in the new Suburbia exhibit (and shop for new history books, but that's a post for another day.) The kids particularly liked the 1960's station wagon. 



We enjoyed the view of St. Paul's Cathedral. Even in the middle of the city, snow and scale bring a hush.


While we tooled around the gift shop...well, Heather tooled, I drooled...over all the amazing BOOKS!...Heather found this little gem. I couldn't agree more!


After the history center, we went to Cossetta's, met friends, and dined on wonderful Italian food.


Then it was off to the Ramsey House After Dark Tour: Crime and Justice. We went with Gabrielle Meyer and her husband, and Michelle Griep and her husband. On the tour, we learned more about the trial and execution of Ann Bilansky, the first white woman executed in the state of Minnesota...and all the doubts that still swirl around her guilt or innocence. (More on this in another blog post, too!)





I loved spending the day with my crazy-wonderful kids. Fun, quilts, history. Check. Check. Check.

Executive Assistant
Earl Grey Aficionado
Find me on PINTEREST
Find me on GOODREADS
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK

7 comments:

  1. GAH!!! Sounds like the PERFECT day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just WQNDERFUL! :) Glad you had such a nice time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to have this special day. I wish my husband could've come, but since I stole his 'hired help' son, he had to stay behind and mind the shop. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! I would have especially loved the yarn shopping. .....and the name of the shop....what fun, What In Yarnnation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful little shop. And stuffed FULL of yarn!

      Delete
  4. I wanna go on your next field trip! I NEED the read local cup....

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)