Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Fave Authors, Fave Genres

Ok, so in keeping with the theme of our favorite books, genres, authors, and so forth, I'm tackling a little bit of everything. I'm an extrovert, so I flit among genres like I do a crowd. I'm also the type of extrovert where I, oddly enough, seek a point to a conversation (extroverts are notorious for keeping convos shallow, hence, why I'm an odd extrovert). I'm the same with a book. If it doesn't suck me in, I shelve it. SO I'm hereby known as the "super-finicky-give-me-a-point-extroverted-reader". Kapeesh?

I grew up reading Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden, as well as the first super elementary introduction into mystery, The Boxcar Children. Be not dismayed, they have never been shelved. In fact, when my local library sold all the ancient copies of Nancy Drew at their book sale (the ones I'd stuffed my face in as a child), I bought them. All. Like 50+ copies. For $40.00. I will give my life to save them if my house ever starts on fire.

Narrowing down to my favorite genre is akin to telling you which of my two cats is my favorite. So, some of my go-to writers just always catch my eye.

For romantic suspense in a contemporary setting, I scream the name of Colleen Coble from the mountaintops. Not to mention I love her to pieces and she's one of my closest mentors. Second, but closely behind Colleen, is Dani Pettrey. Gawsh, she's good!! Love her too. I also enjoy a solid Love Inspired Suspense, and while they can be hit and miss for me, Sarah Varland is one to look up and read. She knows how to weave a pleasant and suspense-laden (not overly dark) romance. And Carrie Stuart Parks ... maybe not as thick in the romance, but heavenly in the suspense ... oh yeash!! (See, she makes me slur drunkenly).

Not sure where Ronie Kendig fits into all this, so she gets her own paragraph :) . She's definitely got somethin' amazing going on. Her military fiction is to die for (but please don't, it'd make us sad), and there's always a thread of romance. She also came out with a Speculative fiction (otherworld adventures) novel in 2015. I'm still in process of reading it, but it's yummy.

I'm not a huge contemporary romance reader, although I have many author-friends in that genre. The ones I do make time for are Denise Hunter, Victoria Bylin, and an occasional Becky Wade, who is a great writer, I just sorta run out of time for reading and again, contemporary romance isn't my go-to. BUT IN 2016 THIS ALL CHANGES with the debut release of Kara Isaac, whose comedic romance is enough to capture my attention (and priorities). It's the addition of some super heavy snark that makes me go YEAH! You'll love her. Go pre-order. Now.

A good historical romance will always make my list. I find myself getting SUPER picky lately, though. While I love historical romance, as I grow, I need more plot than just romance. HOWEVER, if you can include some humor, snark, wit, or just a plain good underlying amount of tension, you'll have me hooked. I know it seems like I'm schmoozing, but Erica Vetsch was ALWAYS one of my favorite historical romance writers. Then one night at a conference, I accidentally sat next to her and gosh dang it, was she NICE!!! And now we blog together. Huh. Go figure. Aside from Erica, I enjoy Karen Barnett, for her rich layers of story and Kristy Cambron for her creative spin and almost literary style of writing (and she is probably lighter on the romance and heavier on the literary history style -- I don't know how you'd categorize her, to be frank). I enjoy Olivia Newport too. She's just a solid writer of historical romance along with Ann Shorey and Maggie Brendan. Of course, toss in Karen Witemeyer and my TBR pile is growing in height.

Throw in good suspense with historical romance and you just jumped up the list of my TBR's. Shelley Gray is a nice one, I enjoy Laurie Alice Eakes, some Elizabeth Camden (although, I'm on again and off again with hers. Not for poor story, but because there's so much history, sometimes I feel it bogs down the suspense). Frankly, there's not a TON of historical suspense in the Inspirational fiction market. But, again I'm finicky. So even what I listed, to me, is lighter suspense. I could use more murders. (GASP!) I'm in process of branching out to the General market in hopes of finding more there. BUT - I'm really looking forward to the release of Rachel McMillan this year whose spin off of Sherlock Holmes (only highly feminine and stellar strong women) totally has me sold already.

I also enjoy a good Spec Fiction novel. Mary Weber has it in spades. I'm also curious to read Curio,  by Evangeline Denmark.

You all know my personal first love is suspense set in historical times with a romantic thread, but a rather gothic feel. I have a newer author I want to check out this year, who we've featured on CCC blog: Cara Luecht.

Are you completely exhausted by this blog post?? Me too! It took me over an hour to write and I'm still moaning about who I missed that I love that I can't remember. I'll save my most-looked-foward-to novels in 2016 for NEXT week's post. :)

Have you read any of the authors I listed above?

____________________________________

Professional coffee drinker, Jaime Jo Wright, resides in the hills of Wisconsin. She loves to write spirited turn-of-the-century romance, stained with suspense. Her day job finds her as a Director of Sales & Development. She’s wife to a rock climbing, bow-hunting Pre-K teacher, mom to a coffee-drinking little girl, and a little boy she fondly refers to as her mischievous “Peter Pan”. Jaime completes her persona by being an admitted social media junkie and coffee snob. She is a member of ACFW and has the best writing sisters EVER!

"The Cowgirl's Lasso", The Cowboy Bride's Novella Collection - Barbour Publishing - COMING MARCH 2016

"Gold Haven Heiress", California Gold Rush Romance Collection - Barbour Publishing - COMING AUGUST 2016


Visit Jaime's web site: jaimejowright.com

Email Jaime - jaimejowright at gmail dot com

Like Jaime on Facebook 

Friend Jaime on Twitter

Meet Jaime on Pinterest

16 comments:

  1. Aaaaaah, Jaimi, love ya! Thanks for the slur and atta boy!! hugs, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaaah, Jaimi, love ya! Thanks for the slur and atta boy!! hugs, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope but thanks for the info and adding these to my to read list my goal for 2016 is to read as many different authors as I can. I like suspense too but my favorite is murder mysteries with a twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooo murder mysteries are DELICIOUS!!!!!! :) I agree.

      Delete
  4. Aw, thank you, friend! I'm so excited your book is coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. huzzah!!!!!! thanks for including my bachelor girls! i hope you enjoy their (mis)adventures in love and murder :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read many, probably most all of those you mentioned. I also enjoy Jody Hedlund. She has a new one coming out today. I've learned lots of real history from her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHhhhhhhhhhhhh! Jody!!! See? I knew I was forgetting some!

      Delete
  7. Yes, those are many of my favorite authors, too! Great list. I, also, seem to be getting pickier in my reading. If it doesn't grab me, I just shelve it. The snarkier or more humorous the better. You named a few I haven't read so I will make sure to get to those. A few of my other favorites are Jen Turano (humor), Kate Breslin (intriguing and moving), Tamara Leigh (her historicals are swoon worthy and fabulous), MaryLu Tyndal (awesome pirates) and Margaret Brownley (humor and great mystery).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Pickier. Me too!!!! I think it's because I don't have the time that I used to, to just sit and plug away through a book.

      Delete
  8. Like you, I am very excited for Kara Isaac's book. I saw her cover reveal quite awhile back and couldn't believe how long I had to wait. Unlike you, though, I am on a contemporary romance fix right now. I'm fairly eclectic in my reading choices, but will often get stuck for a time in one particular genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Kara's book. I was able to read it when it was in draft form. And then edits. So I can't wait to hold the final in my hands!!!

      Delete
  9. I've read many of these...I like some of them...I just wish that sometimes that the characters and their lives weren't so neat...life is rough and I really appreciate characters that aren't perfect or predictable, kwim? :) I've enjoyed Christa Parrish's books probably the best out of some of the Christian writers I've read lately...although...Stones for Bread had too much going on in it. I really liked Still Life. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)