Monday, December 14, 2015

May It Be

May it be unto me according to your word....

Every Christmas and Easter, I try to listen for a new piece of truth from the age old stories about Christ's birth and resurrection.

This year, while at a Christmas concert I found it. While listening to the lead singer of Irish Celtic band, Danu, I was putting myself in Mary's shoes as she sang about the mother of Jesus. It was sad but hopeful.

First an angel appears to her. Frightening.
Then he tells her she's going to have a son.


Wait.
I'm pretty sure she knew the penalty for that, being as she wasn't married.

She was as good as dead.

But she surrendered to the will of the Father.
It was a foreshadowing for Christ's death and resurrection.
As good as dead. In her surrendering, new life was birthed. Life that would change the world.
It was a foreshadowing of the Way of Christ.

How will I surrender this Christmas to bring the light and life of Christ fore fully into my life?
How will you?

So, maybe she didn't know everything that would transpire.
Maybe couldn't see it all.
But she surrendered anyway.

YouTube: Mary Did You Know? by Pentatonix

Luke 1: 27
And the virgin's name was Mary. 28 And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!” 29 But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be. 30 And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”

34 And Mary said to the angel, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?”

35 And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born[e] will be called holy—the Son of God. 36 And behold, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son, and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren. 37 For nothing will be impossible with God.” 38 And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.

-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook 
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Twitter
Find me on: Goodreads  

2 comments:

  1. I am totally amazed every time I think about Mary and her reaction to what the angel told her. She was around 13 or 14 and willing to surrender to God's will. No matter what her family, friends or community thought about her, and especially Joseph, her fiancé. I wonder how I would have reacted, and even today I probably miss a lot of God's whispering to me because I stay so busy and don't take the time to slow down and truly listen to him.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)