Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Bundles of Love

Erica Here: 

This week I have stepped back from the writing and editing to do some sewing. Local fabric stores are having terrific sales, and I had the joy of picking out flannel and fleece for baby blankets. It was so much fun! So, what am I going to do with 20 new baby blankets?

I'm going to give some to a charity here in SE Minnesota, a group called Bundles of Love. My sister-in-law, Linda first told me about Bundles of Love. She crochets blankets, booties, washcloths, and more for them. I was intrigued by the premise of the group. They assemble 'bundles' of baby items to be distributed to those in need. 


I was curious as to what went into a 'bundle.' Here is the information from the Bundles of Love website:

The following hand-made items are included in every newborn bundle:
  • 1 diaper bag
  • 1 quilt
  • 1 fitted crib sheet
  • 1 afghan or fleece blanket
  • 2 receiving blankets
  • 2 bibs
  • 2 burp cloths
  • 2 sleepers
  • 2 gowns
  • 2 t-shirts
  • 1 jacket with matching pants or knitted or crocheted sweater
  • 1 hat
  • 1 pair booties
  • 1 toy
  • 2 washcloths
  • 1 pair mittens (winter only)
  • 1 bunting or car seat cover (winter only)

In addition, we include the following baby care products:
  • Diapers
  • Baby soap or shampoo
  • Baby wipes

When we have extra donations, we include them in a bundle. Extra donation examples are:
  • Pacifiers
  • Towels
  • Socks
  • Changing pads
  • Baby lotion
  • Baby bottles
  • Other baby care items as provided by our supporters
Isn't that amazing? What a blessing this would be to a family in need! 











There are several branches of this charity in Southeast Minnesota. Some, like the group in Rochester, have a room where they can work and store their supplies all the time, some bring in all their supplies each time they meet, and some use a cargo trailer. They offer free patterns, and you don't have to be able to sew or crochet or knit in order to help out. 


Donations come in from so many sources. Here in Rochester there are knitting groups, sewing groups, churches, and individuals that donate time, materials, and money. One local yarn shop, http://yarnologymn.com/ donates yarn and encourages their customers to bring in the bits and bobs of their stash to be donated as well.  Local stores allow Bundles of Love to set up their table and get the word out about what they do and what they need. 


Bundles of Love started small, and in just over fifteen years has gone from a handful of women making five layettes a month to an army of folks who recently celebrated their 1 MILLIONTH item donated. Above are just a few bundles ready to go out to families in need. Bundles of Love works with social workers, crisis pregnancy centers, family services groups, churches, and more to get their gifts into the hands of those who can use them.

Here are some links where you can learn more about Bundles of Love:

Bundles of Love Facebook Page
Bundles of Love Website
How to donate to Bundles of Love

Have you ever made a baby blanket or afghan or sweater or booties?

Executive Assistant
Earl Grey Aficionado
Find me on PINTEREST
Find me on GOODREADS
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK


PS: Happy 26th Anniversary to my husband, Peter. He is simply the best!

6 comments:

  1. I've crocheted 80 newborn hats once and donated them to our local hospital. I developed tendonitis in my wrist right after that and had to have cortisone injections. I still crochet baby afghans, sweaters and hats just not so much at a time. I have learned to pace myself better. There's a Project Linus that donates baby blankets to those in need also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80 newborn hats! WOW! I bet that hospital really appreciated you! I love Project Linus, too. Charles Schultz would be so proud.

      Delete
  2. That's wonderful thing to do! Yes, I have made many baby quilts for gifting, Project Linus too.. I did belong to Sewing for Babies for a time & helped make many quilts for them. It was a blessing to use my hobby for me & to them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I love thinking about and praying for the mommies and babies who will use the things I make. :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)