Monday, November 30, 2015

Monday's Post-Turkey Devo by Anne

One thing I've asked of the Lord. To have life, and life abundantly.

I was never interested in just a little of God.
I never wanted anything stale, short-lived, or empty.
Faith and life have to be so much more than pipe dreams.
I never assumed abundant life would require anything less than the sacrifice of my full heart.
That which gives much, requires much.
Emptying. Filling.

When you keep your heart soft, you are continually aware of that ache in your soul only God can fill.
And I for one, would much rather dance the dance of emptying and refilling with my Lord, than succumb to the constant emptiness of a closed and hardened heart.

This week, I'm not sure I could be more full and running over.
The fridge was full. The table set. And yes the food was good, and our tummies were full.
But it is my heart that remains full as I survey God's faithfulness.
Hearing my husband and father tell stories of God's redemption.
Listening to Dad read "When Father Carved the Turk".
Singing around Mom's table, "Great God the Giver". Twelve voices full in rich, four part harmony.
Memories that fill me.

Now the house is empty. The food decimated. Trash taken out.
Time to turn thoughts to the work week. Get set for more outpouring.

Emptying. Filling.

Have you noticed?
The best coffee mugs have chips, stains, and spittle stuck on the rim from frequent use.
The most used vessels are reheated when the contents have been left stagnant and cold.
It's the nature of cups, to be emptied out. And then the filling up, once more.

Because that's the thing with abundant life. You have to empty out to be filled up.
It's the constant use that makes me sure of the Father's love and life.


John 10:10 from The Message tells of this abundant life meant for us. Don't settle for less. But be ready to go all-in.

"Jesus told this simple story, but they had no idea what he was talking about. So he tried again. “I’ll be explicit, then. I am the Gate for the sheep. All those others are up to no good—sheep stealers, every one of them. But the sheep didn’t listen to them. I am the Gate. Anyone who goes through me will be cared for—will freely go in and out, and find pasture. A thief is only there to steal and kill and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of."

Readers:
Dare to dream. Dare to empty yourself out for His filling.
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook 
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Twitter
Find me on: Goodreads  

1 comment:

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)