Thursday, November 12, 2015

Hard Pressed, but Not Destroyed

We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
 
This verse has been in my mind and on my heart lately. It's been a tough week for several reasons, all of them personal, and I'm feeling hard pressed on every side. Each situation has brought me to tears and forced me to my knees, but God has reminded me that I may be hard pressed, but I'm not crushed. I may be perplexed by these situations, but I'm not in despair.
 
I believe that I'm in the Wilderness right now, walking through, and that maybe on the other side I'll understand some of this. I keep reminding myself that this too shall pass.
 
Yesterday, in the midst of it all, I received three amazing pieces of good news, from three different fronts. And I had a choice to make. I could either let the hard stuff overshadow the good news, or I could be thankful and decide to focus on praising God.
 
I chose to praise God.
 
It's not easy, but it's so important. It didn't take care of the problems, but it made them a little less draining. It didn't stop me from thinking about the other things, but it gave me a better perspective and reminded me that God is in control, and no matter what, He's beside me all the way--in the good and the bad.
 
I may be hard pressed, but I'm not crushed. And maybe, just maybe, the pressure I feel is God's hands molding and shaping me into the vessel He wants to use.
 
Your Turn: Do you ever feel hard pressed? Can I pray for you today?
 
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website



8 comments:

  1. I felt this yesterday too after hearing of a tragic death, and remembering the story of another tragic death. But after having had coffee with a friend where we talked about hard things, it occurred to me that that was holy ground. And that by standing on it together, we are somehow triumphant in this earthy human experience of walking out life as hosts of Christ. Did it undo death? No. But death couldn't squelch our holy moments together. Hard pressed, but not destroyed, we find life as we keep on walking, keep on praising. Thanks, Gabe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How beautiful, Anne. Thank you for the reminder that as we share each other's burdens, as we were commanded to do, we are on holy ground together. I have many wonderful family and friends who stand with me, and I am truly blessed.

      Delete
  2. Gabe, I too am in the wilderness. I am holding on to The Lord God is my strength [my source of courage, my invincible army];He has made my feet [steady and sure] like hinds’ feet
    And makes me walk [forward with spiritual confidence] on my [a]high places [of challenge and responsibility]. Habakkuk 3:19 AMP May the Lord OVERWHELM you with His Presence. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Caryl, sometimes we can feel so alone in the wilderness, but it's wonderful to know that with Christ, we are never alone. Not only because He is with us, but because He has given us our brothers and sisters in Christ. Thank you for your blessing.

      Delete
  3. Reading that verse reminds me of a song we've sang in church using the words from that verse. So sorry that you are going through a tough time. Praying your "valley" is just a short walk until you reach the mountaintop once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, Gabrielle! What a beautiful testimony of God's grace and provision. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)