Friday, November 6, 2015

Author Dana Mentink

Erica here: We're so happy to introduce you to author Dana Mentink today! I remember sitting in the audience when she won at least one of her Carol Awards. She's a talented and creative writer, and I know you're going to love her! Read on, and be sure to enter the drawing to win a copy of her latest release! Here's a little bit about Dana so you can get to know her before diving into her interview:

Dana Mentink is a two time American Christian Fiction Writers Carol Award winner. She is the author of over thirty titles in the suspense and lighthearted romance genres. Her suspense novel, Betrayal in the Badlands, earned a Romantic Times Reviewer’s Choice Award and she has also been honored with a Holt Medallion Award of Merit. She is pleased to write for Harlequin’s Love Inspired Suspense and Harlequin Heartwarming. Besides writing, she busies herself teaching third grade. Mostly, she loves to be home with Papa Bear, Yogi, Boo Boo, a dog with social anxiety problems, a chubby box turtle and a feisty parakeet.

 And now, here' Dana!

   How did you begin writing? Well...it was all on account of the babies! I was an elementary teacher until the Mentink cubs came along, and then I found that I missed having a creative outlet. My husband said, "Go do something you love." I'd always loved writing, so I took a class and things progressed from there.

   Take us through a day in the life of you, the author (because some us picture you rise from bed, calmly pour your coffee, sit in a sunny little alcove, and write for eight hours before getting ready for a luxurious dinner out with your special someone) ;) My life is pretty glam, you know. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I get up very early and write like crazy until the teens awaken. Then it's carpooling, and back to writing, promotional duties, etc. On Thursday and Friday, I teach third grade so I'm too exhausted to do any writing on those days. Saturdays are split between family time, a bit of morning writing, and chasing Mentink cub #2 around to various marching band events. Sundays are for church and letter writing, seeing family, etc. I don't write on Sunday. See? What did I tell you? Glam, huh?

   Tell us where you got the idea for your latest book and why you developed a passion to write it? I came up with a series idea to write about the California Coast which is near and dear to my heart. That caused me to pitch the idea for Pacific Coast Investigations. Having visited Coronado Island, I thought it would be the perfect place for a suspense novel and from that, Dangerous Tidings was born.

   Who is your favorite character in this book and why? I'm partial to Radar the German Shepherd. He's a bundle of fun and he never judges anyone.
  
   What is the most important takeaway from your book that you hope your readers see? Guilt is a waste of time because we've already been forgiven. It's a lesson I'm still learning myself.

   If you were to be offered the opportunity to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro or to back pack deep into the heart of the Swiss Alps, which would you do and why? Er, could I possibly choose a less mountainous destination? I'm thinking a nice, flat stroll through the redwoods is more my pace. I'm not inclined to sleep in the wilderness and such. Back problems, don't you know, and I'm afraid of raccoons. They're not to be trusted. They wear masks, after all.

   And while youre on this grand adventure, would it be necessary for you to have coffee or tea? (cause were split evenly in preference here at the CCC blog) Coffee, wherever I am. Whenever I drink tea I'm disappointed because it just doesn't taste like coffee.

   If you had to write your novel long-hand, would you use a fine point Sharpie, a roller ball pen, a fountain pen, or a pencil? Pencil. Oy vey! I can't write anything in pen. You should see me attempt to write on the white board at school.
   
   Your favorite flavor of pie because were heading into pie season! I've never met a pie I didn't like. Pumpkin, chocolate, peppermint, apple, even mincemeat. I'm in!

   What are you currently working on in the book world? I'm writing the next book in the Pacific Coast Investigations series for Love Inspired Suspense, and working on a dog themed lighthearted series for Harvest House. The first one is Sit, Stay, Love which launches in April, 2016. My first ever book series of cozy mysteries (Trouble Up Finny's Nose) is being made into audio books. That's pretty exciting for me.

   Lastly, will you leave us with a snippet from your book that is one of your favorites and gives us a glimpse into its pages?

Snippet from Dangerous Tidings:

He listened. A slow scraping sound teased his skin into goose bumps.
           
"Where's that coming from?" he murmured.

"Below," she whispered, looking to the narrow staircase in the corner of the kitchen. "There's someone down there."

He heard it then, a long slow movement, the sound of someone dragging a dead weight in the basement.

(Now, don't you want to know what was in that basement?) Thanks for having me!




If you'd like to find me in the cyber universe, I have a Dana Mentink's Reader Page on Facebook, or you can find me on Pinterest and Twitter (@danamentink). My website is www.danamentink.com and you can sign up for my newsletter there if you'd like. If you'd like to know more about Dangerous Tidings, you can check it out on Amazon at http://amzn.to/1GNRPzx.


Thank you again for having me! 

It has been our pleasure, Dana! 

Readers: Dana is giving away one copy of her ebook to someone who leaves a comment, and she'll also give away a print copy to someone who uses the rafflecopter form below!


a Rafflecopter giveaway

4 comments:

  1. Ah, Dana, loved the interview :-) I've been blessed to be a part of her "preferred reviewers" and have enjoyed this book already. It's one not to miss and I can't wait for the next installment.
    And pie, yummy....I'm with you on the pies, well, except for mincemeat. My mom loved for me to make that during Christmas for her and I did. Now if that don't tell you I love her, I don't know what would...lol!
    Just a word to the wise...whoever wins this book, will be blessed!! Prepare for a thrill ride :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add, thanks for letting me crash your blog to give some author love to Dana!! She's a wonderful person :-)

      Delete
  2. I love coffee junkies! And I enjoy suspense novels. You have teenagers? You look too young for that! Mine gave me grey hair and that's been 10 to 15 years ago. Thanks for the chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read and I enjoy good coffee. I read so much about what Starbucks does or doesn't do, but I have never understood how they got to be so big. Their coffee is drastically overpriced and tastes terrible. They could all go out of business and I would not care. Just don't take away great Christian fiction. Now I would really miss that.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)