Thursday, October 29, 2015

Sacrifice of Thanksgiving

Hello, Gabrielle here.

I need to just start by saying: it snowed here in Minnesota yesterday! I know I have to shake my fist at the sky like any good Minnesotan, but the truth be told, I love the first snowfall of the year. I like the change of seasons in general, however, it's that looooooong period in between the first snowfall and the first gust of warm wind that gets a little old.

This week has been jam-packed with writerly things, and somewhere in the midst of it all, I realized I've officially "arrived" at the destination marked Writing Career. Over the course of this week, I wrote over 30,000 words on my manuscript, I compiled a proposal, I created a Street Team of twenty-five awesome ladies who have agreed to help spread the word about my upcoming release, I conducted a week-long giveaway on my Facebook page, I started filling out the very detailed art fact sheet for the cover art on my Love Inspired Historical releasing in September 2016, and I went to a writing meeting with dozens of other Minnesota writers, including our very own Erica Vetsch.

Erica took this picture of me at the MN History Center where
we met before the MN ACFW Meeting to visit the new
exhibit Suburbia!
The thing that continues to play through my mind is thankfulness. I am so thankful that I get to live my dream. I'm thankful people are supporting me and willing to help. I'm thankful for friendships with other writers and readers. I'm thankful for a husband who sacrifices every day to help me live out this calling. I'm thankful for my children who cheer me on. I'm thankful for my community and my church and all my local friends who believe in me. I'm just brimming with thankfulness.

But I think that's the point. Or, at least, I hope it is. God is so good, and even when things aren't going the way we hope or pray, He's still good and He's still in control, and He still longs for a thankful heart. I could easily get bogged down in all the to-dos of this calling, and lose the sense of awe and joy, but with my heart turned toward thankfulness, it's almost impossible.

It doesn't just apply to my writing life. It applies to all those areas that I prayed and asked God to give me the desires of my heart. My marriage. My children. My home. My friendships. With many blessings, come many responsibilities. When I start to complain about those responsibilities, I can get bogged down and lose sight of the joy they offer. But I don't want to do that. I want to live a life of praise and gratitude toward God, enjoying all the blessings He gives.

Psalm 50:23 ESV: "The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me; to one who orders his way rightly. I will show the salvation of God!”

Hebrews 13:15 NIV: "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name."

Your Turn: I'd love to hear what you're thankful for this week!

**We have a winner from my post last week!! Kara Grant has won a surprise gift. :) I'll get it in the mail soon.**

Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website

2 comments:

  1. Snow? We're surprised if we even get a light dusting here in Alabama.
    I'm thankful for things I tend to take for granted, seeing, hearing, walking, talking. Even working through the pain of a knee replacement I think about my brother who has been paralyzed from the waist down for a year now and all the adjustments he and his family have had to make. I love to read and crochet which requires my sight and the use of my hands. Thank you Jesus for giving me these things.
    I cringe every time I hear someone say " why should I thank God for my job, money, possessions, etc. I've done it all with no help from him!" And I think yes, but your ability to be able to provide could disappear in a heartbeat. Be thankful he allows you to do these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, snow. It melted right away, but it was hanging out for a little while yesterday. :)

      I agree completely with you, Gail. The little things are the things we often take for granted, until they're taken away. I'm so sad to hear about your brother. I can't imagine what that must be like for him and his family. I also pray your knee is feeling better.

      It's so important that we recognize God's hand in all areas of our life, whether big or small. Jobs, homes, money, possession. We couldn't do it without His love and grace.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)