Thursday, October 8, 2015

2%

A little over three years ago, I decided it was time to pick up my pen and pursue my dream to be a published writer. I began to follow several writing blogs and I scoured the internet for information about the Christian publishing industry. For the most part, I was encouraged by what I read...until I saw something that made me think twice.

I came across a blog post by Michael Hyatt. I wish I could locate the post and share the web address, but I've looked for it several times since then and haven't found it. The gist of the post was that millions of people dream about being published, but only 2% actually reach their goal.

Why?

There are several reasons, but one is that they give up when the going gets tough. This isn't an easy road to travel. There are many ups and downs, twists and turns, detours and dead ends.

Every rejection is an invitation to quit. Every obstacle is an invitation to procrastinate. Every critique is an invitation to doubt.

But who succeeds? Who perseveres and becomes the 2%? It's the people who truly believe in their dream and fight for it, no matter what. There is no magic formula. It all comes down to working hard and not giving up. Sometimes it can take years.

When I read Michael Hyatt's claim that only 2% get published, I instantly had self-doubt. What made me think I could be part of the 2%? But then, just as quickly, I thought: Why can't I be part of the 2%? Someone gets to be!

I've written over 700,000 words in the past three years, but up until now, only 40,000 have been published--but those 40,000 words mean I've become part of the 2%. The cool thing is that when I was with Erica Vetsch at the ACFW Conference in Dallas last month she said something amazing to me. She was talking about all the people who entered the Blurb2Book Contest with Love Inspired and she said: "I did the math. Three hundred and twenty-six people entered Blurb2Book and only seven were contracted. That's only 2%. You are the 2%!"

I was stunned and told her so! I explained Michael Hyatt's blog post and how what she said was confirmation from God about following this dream. I am the 2%--and you can be the 2%, too!

If you have a dream to be a published writer (or something else that seems unattainable), don't give up. If God gave you the dream He'll be faithful to give you the grace to pursue it. Someone gets to be part of the 2% and that someone can be you.

 
Your Turn: Do you dream to be a published writer? If not, what dream has God placed on your heart? What do you do to stay motivated to fight the good fight and keep pursuing your dream?

Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website

6 comments:

  1. People, listen to Gabe! Do not give up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I love how your face lit up when we talked about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my word! What a moment. I won't ever forget it. :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Gabe! I am SO EXCITED that you are 2%! May the Lord continue to shower you with blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)