Tuesday, October 6, 2015

11 Things I Learned as A Career-Driven Mom


If you'd told me I was going to be a career-woman I probably would have lol'd. I was raised from the homeschooled all 12 years thing, to the daughter of a pastor, to the I-married-a-youth-pastor. So where does working outside the home and having two kids fit into the equation? Heck, I even know how to can tomatoes...something I'm trying desperately to forget.

I have learned a few critical things about myself in this foray into the workforce of directing people, hitting the 9-5 grind, and still coming home to balance family, housekeeping, child rearing, church ministry and that ever-distant concept of ... time to myself and writing novels?!

1. Oprah is nuts. Yes I deserve "me" time. Yes, it would benefit my family. But no, there's no way possible to make that happen. So yes, Oprah is nuts.

2. I can't cook--so it's an obvious disqualifier for me being a SAHM

3. I am not a self-contained liberal advocate who thinks her husband is a wuss or that I am somehow superior.

4. Being a mom becomes precious because of my limited time.

5. House chores are suddenly put into perspective on the low scale of importance.

6. Sometimes you just have to realize not every one is going to agree with you being a WOHM.

7. Sometimes you just have to know that the Lord takes people down very unique roads and it's awesome to see how He works.

8. Coffee is a necessity for every mom -- Acronym notwithstanding.

9. I will never--ever be geared mentally, physically or emotionally for more than 2 kids.

10. ...and that's OK


11. I will often be an outsider in the world of Moms...and that's ok too.

Unlike some SAHM's, makeup for me is daily occurrence, as are showers, dress clothes, and heels. But like a lot SAHM's, pajama pants are still the preferred source of comfort and kids bouncing off the walls still make me smile...and cringe. We have a lot in common...and a lot of differences. But this I know to be true...we all, at the end of the day, kiss our children's temples and pray a prayer of grace and blessing. In that fact, we are united.

_________________________________________

Jaime Jo Wright - author of spirited turn-of-the-century romance, stained with suspense

COMING SOON!

March 2016, "The Cowgirl's Lasso", The Cowboy Bride's Novella Collection, from Barbour Publishing

August, 2016,"Gold Haven Heiress", The California Gold Rush Brides Collection, from Barbour Publishing

Visit Jaime's web site: jaimejowright.com
Email Jaime - jaimejowright at gmail dot com
Like Jaime on Facebook
Friend Jaime on Twitter
Meet Jaime on Pinterest
Don't forget Instagram

8 comments:

  1. You amaze me! I worked almost my entire married life. One more year till SS. Had to quit early because of my knee issues. My husband and I are still keeping our three yr old grandson. I was fortunate enough to have my mom keep my two while I worked so I'm spreading the love. My two adult children turned out wonderful in spite of me and totally because of the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lord is DEFINITELY the Master of my kiddos. You are quite the amazing gramma and momma too, Gail! :)

      Delete
  2. Good for you, Jaime. I admire you. My daughter is a single working Mom. Not easy, but she's one awesome lady, proving that God inside a person is a powerful force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanette!!! Your daughter is amazing too -- single moms have huge jobs

      Delete
  3. Amen - just keep doing what you're doing, dear lady!! Few of us have/had the free time we would like to have enjoyed while working outside the home & raising children, etc., and He led many of us into fields we never dreamed we'd enter. As you said, at these times, we learn what is important, and what is not - including other's opinions of us. It matters only that we're where He would have us be, doing what He would have us do. His grace and blessings bring joy and guide us through the difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me smile, b/c my title would have read "Things I Learned as a Stay-at-Home mom!" I've held some kind of job since I was 8 years old. I went straight to college from high school, received my degree, and within a couple of months of graduating, I was working within that degree. Five years later, I had my first child. I had always told myself that I would go back to work within 6 weeks of having any children. haha! 16 years and two kids later, I am still a stay-at-home mom. I have also been able to home-school and attend everything my children have have needed me to. I praise God for softening my heart to the idea, b/c I have enjoyed (almost) every minute. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes think that it would be much easier going to a job outside my home. :)

    I think if we allow the Lord to guide our steps, he changes our hearts in the process. I was raised by a single, extremely independent mom who had to work hard to provide for her kids. That was my role model and I thank God for that everyday, but he chose a different path for me and I had to recognize that my stubborn, determined mind was not as big as my God.

    I hope this didn't sound like I am anti-WOHM. I am quite the opposite. There are advantages and disadvantages to both and there's always a reason God places us in either role. Thanks for the entertaining post, Jaime.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)