Tuesday, August 4, 2015

When Prayer Doesn't Work


Sometimes I pray. Hard. Like this last week at work. It's been heavy and weighing me down. I asked God to take it away. He didn't. 

So prayer didn't work. 

Or did it?

Last night my kids wanted to go to Daddy's softball game. One more hash mark on the list of things to do. I didn't want to go. In fact I had very good reasons not to go. But in the name of being a good mom, I loaded them up, grabbed fast food for their dinner and headed to the softball game. 

"I Facebook stalked you," she said. That friend who appeared out of nowhere. "I saw you were here. I wanted to see you." At 31 weeks pregnant with twins plus her two kids in tow, she adopted mine and walked them off to the playground affording me twenty minutes of silence in a crowd of softball viewers. 

I made my way to the playground and we sat. Sometimes in silence. Sometimes running sentry on four kids. Often sharing our woes. We had something in common: heavy weeks. We laughed. We snarked. We shared. It was refreshing. Like a cool drink of heavenly water. 

God does answer prayer. Just sometimes not how we expected it. And we are blessed beyond words. 

Has God ever NOT answered prayer only to for you to realize after He is far more creative than you are? How?

3 comments:

  1. God is awesome! He always knows what's best for us even when we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I went through a season where I felt God didn't hear or didn't care about answering my prayers. Yet after that season of relative silence, He made it clear that His path was not the one I had been chasing. And I'm so thankful He finally led me the way I needed to go, because, as Robert Frost says, "that has made all the difference." He does hear those prayers, but His timetable is not the same as ours! :) Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, Jaime! There's been many times I felt He wasn't answering, only to discover He had other plans--far better plans--for me. The one that comes most clearly to mind is when we began trying to have a family. We tried to get pregnant for almost a year. I was devastated. I prayed and prayed. When God blessed us with our first child, I joined a parent/child class when she was 18 months old. Eight out of ten of the women in the class became dear, dear friends, and have impacted our lives in everlasting ways. If we had become pregnant even one month earlier, I wouldn't have entered that class, I wouldn't have met those women, and we wouldn't have the incredible friends we have today.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)