Thursday, August 6, 2015

My First Author Talk

Three years ago, when I had just begun my journey to publication, I had the opportunity to meet Beverly Lewis at a small library in rural Minnesota. I'm a huge fan of Beverly's writing, and to meet her was a dream come true. While I was in the audience, I timidly (emphasis on timidly) lifted my hand to ask a question. When she called on me, I said: "What is your best advice for an aspiring author?"

Beverly graciously gave me her advice (I blogged about it here), and later I spoke with her as she signed a book I won. I was so star-struck and nervous, I could hardly talk to her!

Beverly Lewis and Me
Moments later, the librarian found me and introduced herself. Her name is Wanda, and she was so excited to hear that I was a local writer. Since then, Wanda has been one of my biggest fans, and she's been such an encouragement to me.

Over the past three years, Wanda has had Beverly Lewis, Tracie Peterson, Lauraine Snelling, Cynthia Ruchti, and Julie Klassen at that little library in Upsala, Minnesota, a town of only 427 people! The crowds are always large and the people are so supportive.

The day I announced my contracts with Barbour last year, Wanda sent me an invitation to talk at the Upsala Library!! We agreed to wait until both books had been released, so we set the date for August 5th.

I'm writing this post just a few hours after my very first author talk! I was a little nervous before hand, but not nearly as nervous as I was when I met Beverly. :) The ladies who came out to meet me tonight were so much fun! It was an honor and a privilege to spend my evening with them.



So much has happened in three years. I wish I could go back to the day I met Beverly and tell myself dreams really do come true, and that one day I'd be the guest author! I'd tell myself it would be a lot of hard work, but it would be worth every moment.

Your Turn: If you could go back in time, knowing what you know today, what would you tell yourself?

6 comments:

  1. Yay! What a fun dream to come true. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful dream come true! I can't wait to return to Upsala! :)

      Delete
  2. Wish I could've made it! I'm so glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to see you again, Michelle! Hopefully next time. :)

      Delete
  3. It's fun to read about an author's beginning and the success that follows. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still pondering your question. What would I tell myself? Hmmmmmm....In the mean time, I am just so tickled for you. What a dream come true. This is my dream too. One day I will be a published author. What is it like to get "the call?" I daydream about that WAY too much!! One dream is to be sitting in an airplane seat and who comes walking down the aisle and sits RIGHT next to me?----Robin Jones Gunn!!! Congratulations to you Gabrielle. What a thrill. All of it. Meeting authors, being at this wonderful library inspiring young ones to follow their dreams...love it! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)