Monday, August 24, 2015

Monday's Devo: Look for Life

Ever have those split second moments when you've relied on technology--but it epically failed you?

Yes, I was thinking about epic fails last week while pumping gas into my van.

I tootled up to the pump, parked it, and swiped my grocery card to collect on my ten cents off per gallon. But when I grabbed the handle and squeezed, I noticed the nozzle was missing its back splash guard. Ewww, what if it overfilled and splashed gasoline on me? Oh wait, it can't do that, because when you use the discount, it only gives you fifteen gallons and slows to a trickle right at the end. Phew. Oh, but my tank wasn't totally empty, so there was still a chance for splash back. Where should I look? The pump or the digital reader?

That was when I remembered my training: "look at the patient." (I'm a nurse first, writer second). With fifteen years of working Intensive Care, we were always trained to never trust the technology first. If a patient on the heart monitor is showing flat line, but they are talking to you and breathing fine--check to be sure the monitor hasn't just fallen off the patient. If a finger-stick iron check shows dangerously low, but the patient is rosy-cheeked, breathing fine, and not bleeding to death--recheck your equipment. Technology can fail! We were taught "high tech requires high touch".


I stared at the gas nozzle, thinking about technology in our world and the need to not only "look at the patient" but to look at each other and look for life! At first glance, signs may indicate a sure end, or eminent disaster. Look deeper. Look for signs of life. When talking with a friend, acquaintance, or stranger, look for reasons for hope, love, and believing. Some people throw you flat-liners--believing they are beyond resuscitation. Some throw you dead battery warnings--making you think they are half gone. Some may tell you the lines of communication with the Father are down.
Cut. Dead.

But we have to look for life. There's usually a flicker. 
Sometimes I've believed the pseudo-techno-warnings people have thrown me, and epically failed to look for signs of life at the heart of the matter.

Jesus looked past the obvious signs, beyond all extinguished hope, and not only believed, but actively saved. He was so bold. If I could only have a fraction of that boldness.

I mean, look at Lazarus. He was four days dead in the tomb. Stinky. Rotting. All signs pointed to the fact that it was beyond hope. Everyone was weeping, wailing, grieving his loss. Yet Jesus called him forth to life.

John 11: 21-27: “Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.”
Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”
Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
“Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

And Jesus looked beyond all the obvious and raised him to life.
An unusual story. But the thing is---Jesus taught us to look for life, to call forth hope, and belief.
When things look impossible. Don't forget to look for life.

Hope looks up. Watch for it.
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)