Monday, July 20, 2015

Perks of DIY Housekeeping

Much as I might like, I may never have the privilege of having a paid housekeeper.
But I remind myself regularly, there are perks of surviving DIY housekeeping.

Yep, I'm my very own DIY Housekeeper. The payoffs are grand (spoken like my daughter's Irish brogue, with a little fairytale twang to it, and in my case perhaps at least the temptation for snark).

This year a friend of mine mentioned over our coffee cups that she endeavored to rid her home of 40 bags of stuff--a bag for every day of lent. She didn't specify how large the bags were, but I decided that each week this summer, I will accomplish one small cleaning goal above and beyond the usual.

So far, it's been...grand. I've cleaned out the game cupboard, an overstuffed kitchen cupboard, a drawer, a corner that had accumulated stuff from college-aged children, sorted book stacks, sorted years of the kids's childhood memorabilia, and went through the clothes closet. I've taken out trash bags, and recycled items to Goodwill.

The Perks, you ask?
1) Empty-nester deep house cleaning is more like reclaiming your world. I'm even thinking of how and when I might want to transform some bedrooms to guest rooms eventually.

2) For the control-freak in me, I get to have a great feeling of accomplishment and reorganization--even if short lived. But with the kids moving out, the house tends to stay clean longer without as many there to bring tsunami-like disaster to the organization.

3) Discipline. Cleaning is a discipline that does eventually bring peace.
4) Even if the bag I've taken out is small, it's progress!
5) I find joy in remembering I survived this stage (you will too, I promise!):
6) It's therapeutic! I start out with a list, feeling overwhelmed.
I love the satisfaction of conquering my stress. There are some days I want nothing other than to just sit down and rest. Other days, too much idle time makes me restless.

7) DIY housekeeping makes me believe I deserve a badge for keeping the home fires burning, and small explosions of disaster to a low roar. LOL.


8) It reminds me that God is a God of enough. I don't need to keep accumulating. Divesting ourselves of stuff and things is a good reminder to depend on our God of provision.


I found a few verses to ponder this week:
Proverbs 31:27
She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Proverbs 14:1 ESV / 17
The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down.

Work is good. Rest is good. Satisfying is that cup of coffee, or glass of iced tea after the work is done!

I challenge each of you to get rid of a bag a week! Remember: you deserve a badge, God is enough, and don't forget that "this too shall pass".

Work hard. Play hard. Rest well. Have a great week everyone!
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. I need to do the 40 bags of stuff out of the house! I'm still working on the empty-nest part. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My empty nest stage started many years ago, but oh - how I wish I could get rid of "things" in my house more freely. I'm a work in progress, 1 step forward and 2 backward, lol!! I should just let my kids do it when they come to visit - they have no problem throwing everything in the trash, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the first bag of trash is the first step! ;) I did more yesterday. I sorted a whole stack of the kids's childhood memorabilia that didn't need to be saved.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)