Monday, July 6, 2015

Lost in Story, Indiana


Ted and I enjoyed taking the scenic route on our vacation down to Brown County, Indiana. But we didn’t bargain for it being twenty-five miles off the beaten path when I made a navigational error! Oops.

While winding down a hilly, twisting, narrow back road thinking we were nearing our destination, starving for supper and longing to get out and stretch, the road basically just ended and we sat staring at a quaint little forgotten town, Story, Indiana.


I did the proverbial  asking of directions while Ted tried not to steam and sputter his frustration at having this detour.  But I can’t deny that my delight at finding this sleepy little town far outweighed any irritation. On the right were horse stables, ahead was an old general store, and across the street sat several turn of the century town houses. Eeeee!

I stepped inside the general store but no one was around. Inside the tables were set with linen table clothes and crystal, while the walls were lined with an eclectic collection of old merchandize. At the check out counter was an ancient cash register American Pickers would have loved. I loved it.


I quickly asked directions, grabbed a free menu, and went back to the truck grinning from ear to ear despite Ted’s obvious annoyance and fatigue. “Oh sweetie, I’ve never been so happy to be lost. I love this place!” Even though he can appreciate my glee and love of everything vintage, he couldn’t share my joy but still promised to bring me back.


We did manage to make a return visit for sandwiches and live music in the gardens behind the old general store. This little sleepy town died out after the Great Depression. Though it was established in  1841 after the land was opened for settlement in 1809 by the Ten O'clock Treaty, when hard times struck, it became deserted and preserved in time. Today it's been restored and makes a nice day trip from Brown County State Park, near Nashville, Indiana. Getting lost in Story turned out to make a great story!


Readers: 
What's your favorite American "hole-in-the-wall" kind of place?
Do you like to take the scenic route? 
Planned ahead? Or stumbled upon?
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads

10 comments:

  1. City Cafe in Northport, AL. Doesn't look like much on the outside, or inside but oh my goodness, the food! You have to get their early for lunch unless you want to wait in a long, long line for a table. Like, out the door long. The University of Alabama students have found out about the place and flock there. Good ole fashioned meat and veggies served with a tall glass of iced sweet tea. For a reasonable price no less. My mouth is watering right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, sounds delicious!! Bucket list!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like my kind of town! So glad you happened upon it.

    Favorite hole-in-the-wall place is Forestville, MN, a town that isn't even a town anymore. I like to plan our excursions, but leave a little room to be serendipitous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to Google it Erica! Sounds like a blog post to me. :)

      Delete
  3. Love this post, Anne, and the pics convinced me I must see Story!! Thank you!! Found out it is only 2 hours from me, sounds like a great place for a Fall road trip - will stop off in Nashville, also. Haven't been there in years!!

    Was wondering if you've ever been to Metamora, In.?? A historical little town with a horse drawn canal boat ride, train rides, shops, restaurants. Also passed through an enchanting town on my way home from an army base in Ga. (where my nephew was stationed), several years ago. It was known as "Little Switzerland" - a lot of the buildings having the Swedish architecture, creek running through the town. Can't remember what state it is in, will see if I can find it & let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Found a Little Switzerland, N.C. - between Boone and Ashville, and just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Didn't remember that we traveled as far east as info indicates this town is, but we did experience some beautiful mountain views, and online info indicates this is an eclectic little town.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, I'll have to start a bucket list for hole-in-the-wall places to visit! I've never been to those places, but sounds delightful!

      Delete
    3. Bonnie, sounds like it might be Helen, GA that you are talking about??

      Delete
  4. My hubby and I love to explore and get "lost" on purpose. What fun places and adventures we have had because of it! We have seen so many wonderful places and ghost towns and neat little stores and met so many wonderful people. We always take the scenic route and try to find backroads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please share your favorite ones!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)