Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Writer's Retreat

This past week I hosted a writing retreat at my house. The primary purpose for the retreat (other than spending time with my fabulous friends!) was to brainstorm story ideas. All five of us came with a spark of an idea, and walked away with a fully plotted story.
 
My guests were Susan May Warren, Melissa Tagg, Lindsay Harrel, and Alena Tauriainen. All of us have been to Susie's Storycrafter's and Deep Thinker's Retreats, so we're all familiar with the My Book Therapy elements and it helped us work well together.
 
There's nothing better than five minds working on a story! Some stories fell into place easily, while others took a bit more work to lay down. Some characters were easy to flesh out, while others needed more tweaking. It was fun and challenging. We laughed until we cried, and we shared some personal stories as our fictional ones took shape.
 
I'm so excited about everyone's story--and we got a sneak peek at Susie's next series!! I'm especially thrilled about my next story, set in 1864. I can't wait to get it started.
 
Here are just a few photos from our retreat.
 
A story waiting to be born!!
 
The Mississippi as our background.

Alena was our scribe for the weekend (she has such pretty handwriting).

Susie working on her next story.

 
 
 
Darby laid under the table almost the whole time! :)
 
Brain food! Susie explained the scientific reason for needing sugar
while we brainstormed...none of us debated her. :)
An evening out to relax.

Seeing Jurassic World at the theater.

Our book signing event.

I thank God for my writing friends (and I wish I had more room, so I could invite more ladies to join us)! They offer me more than writing support, they offer me friendship, understanding, and encouragement. They are brilliant authors and exceptional women of faith. I'm blessed, indeed.
 
Your Turn: What did you do last weekend? Any plans for this weekend? If you're a writer, do you attend retreats? If you're a reader, what was the last retreat you attended? 
 

6 comments:

  1. I love writers retreats. I love the ones where you must meet of for a day and write like crazy, and I love the ones where you stay over for several days and write like crazy. :) The last ones I attended were with you and with Jaime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are so many types and all are great! I can't wait to have another one with you, Erica!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! So much talent in one room!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Susan!! Yes, so much talent! I felt honored to be part of the group.

      Delete
  3. How fun!! It'd be so amazing to attend a writer's retreat!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the interesting post, Gabrielle - sounds like lots of fun, encouragement, and inspiration. The last retreat I attended was probably a Women of Faith women's conference.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)