Monday, June 1, 2015

School's Out!

........for the summer!!

Yay!! Yipee!!!

It's time to dream about summer fun in the sun. We have been more intentional about planning our summer outings this year and have several camping trips planned. I keep a running list of places I'd like to go, things I'd like to see, or stuff to put on my bucket list. It's all posted on Pinterest.
Pinterest: Places I want to visit

Half the fun of vacationing is the dreaming. Because let's face it, the other half--the doing it--takes work. Sometimes you feel like you need a vacation from your vacation. Some things I think about while planning for our summer:

1. Take the Monday off. It's important after your vacation to unpack, do the laundry, write the bills, check the emails, and roll back into real life. If you can't take the Monday off, lighten the morning schedule at work, or go in an hour or two later if you can.

2. Plan your budget. Make a special vacation account that you put very small amounts in every week or two. We have an automatic deposit of about $25 a pay period--about the cost of dinner out. Once the account is up to speed, put the vacation on the calendar! This avoids dreadful vacation guilt. Don't forget, you don't have to spend a lot to have a great time. Be patient and let your savings grow if you have a big dream to plan!


3. Dream together. A few years ago my husband and I sat down after an argument about vacations and we both drew up our bucket lists and posted them on the fridge with a magnet. That was before "bucket list" was a catchphrase. I love the mountains. He loves the sun and the beach. So we take turns.
Seven Lighthouses you can sleep in...

4. Simple can be fun. Remember if your budget is small or your time is crunched, simple may be best, but it can still be very fun. State Parks are low cost, high fun, and great for exercise and relaxation. Picnics can be romantic with a colorful tablecloth and a candle. Back yards make perfect camping memories!

5. Drive away. You don't have to go far or spend a lot to get away. I love that feeling of pulling out of the drive. We have a tradition in our family, we stop at the end of the drive, hold hands and pray. We thank God for jobs, health, and a time of restoration. Then, we simply drive away and try to leave worries behind for the week. Take your own sabbatical!

6. Laugh and rest your souls. You don't have to spend money to laugh together. But laughing, telling stories, reading, meditating, are all great ways to let your soul loose. Daily life has a way to tying you up. Laugh and let God take your soul on vacation this summer!

Readers & Coffeeshop friends: tell us what you've planned for fun this summer. Please share your dreams, ideas, and vacations with us!

Also, I shared it late, so I'll re-share the winner of Pepper Basham's Giveaway: Tammy Cordery!

AND the winner of Carla Laureano's "Five Days in Skye" is: Jolene Soerfass!


-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads

12 comments:

  1. Since my husband owns a landscaping/lawn care company, we don't tend to take long summer trips, but we have much more freedom to get away in the winter. During the summer, we try to make our Sundays special. We often take the kids out on the lake or river, have campfires, and attend local festivals and events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and you already have that wonderful riverview every night! Being intentional is so much a part of it!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, I'm so excited! Thanks to all of you! I'm also excited that we are taking our First Ever family vacation this month. We're going with all 5 kids to Door County, WI and staying 3 nights in a rental cabin/house! We can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOoooh, so very fun, Jolene!! Report back to us the highlights. I did look at Door County while planning. Maybe another summer for there.

      Delete
  3. Yay for summer!!! Summer plans include: A trip to Forestville History Center with the daughter...she asked for this museum trip for her birthday...I love that kid...and a trip with my parents to the North Shore of Lake Superior and up into Canada. Other than that, it's writing, gardening, some Saturday day trips to local historical sites, and soaking up the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful, Erica! I'm thinking we'll get to hear about your museum trips!

      Delete
  4. yup, a trip to Forestville is a family summer tradition, and my birthday is as good an excuse as any! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to be able to stay home this summer. I know it sounds crazy, but 4 of the last 5 summers I've had to go out of state for medical trips to Mayo Clinic. Don't get me wrong, I fell head over heels in love with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana and Illinois from all the driving back and forth. But since things are getting better I get to stay in Michigan this year. I definitely plan on going back to all of those states for a vacation in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay-cation in "Pure Michigan" sounds wonderful to me!

      Delete
  6. Such touching, fun tips in your post, Anne - loved them!!

    I just returned from an 11 day trip to spend time with friends/authors in Tn., S.C., N.C., and Va. - drove almost 2,000 miles by myself. Had planned this trip some time ago, but wasn't sure I'd physically be able to follow through with it - because of recent health issues/testings. The testings aren't complete, however, God gave me the strength and help for mobility issues - from friends along the way. I was encouraged, inspired, prayed for, had hands laid on for my healing, temporarily relieved from some of the stresses of everyday life at home, and returned home with many precious memories to relive in my mind. I am blessed!!

    If all goes well, I will attend a family reunion in the Smoky Mountains - in Aug.. Included will be children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of my parents, brother and I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie! 2000 miles on your own!? I'm so impressed. :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)