Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Rosemaling ~ I want to learn!

The winner of Keli Gwyn's Family of Her Dreams is: Gail H. Please email me at ericavetsch at gmail dot com so we can get your your prize!!!!

When I visited Vesterheim in Decorah, IA, a few weeks ago, I was drawn to the beautiful Norwegian folk painting called rosemaling.

The Norwegian people used wood for many things, eating utensils, storage, furniture. And every inch of it is ornamented with painting or carving or both. Because wood was so plentiful and inexpensive, it was used extensively in Norwegian life.

Every room we entered, every display we saw exquisite examples of rosemaling. The colors are vibrant, and the subject matter is botanical. Flowers and leaves and ivy. Acanthus leaves often. There are often mirror images, and paisely-sorts of swirls. Reds, blues, greens, and yellows.






I also learned that different styles of rosemaling can be traced to different regions of Norway. My favorite style is from Valdres, and one of the characters in my current Work in Progress is from Valdres and paints beautifully.



Which Style do you like the best?

Erica Vetsch:
Executive Assistant
Earl Grey Aficionado 
Find me on PINTEREST
Find me on GOODREADS
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK
Find me on my WEBSITE

12 comments:

  1. Oh, so hard to choose! Very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they lovely? I would love to try rosemaling. Vesterheim offers classes, but it's a bit of a drive. Maybe someday.

      Delete
  2. Erica, these are gorgeous! I like the Numedal pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of my favorites, too, Caryl. I love the red backgrounds.

      Delete
  3. I have Norwegian roots, so I already love rosemaling, but I didn't know there were so many different styles! My favorite is probably Ryfylke, which I have no idea whatsoever how to pronounce. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your guess is as good as mine on pronunciation...probably better. :) I think I like the softer colors in rosemaling best, which is odd, since Red is my favorite color.

      Delete
  4. Very beautiful! I think I was at that same museum years ago (like 1999 or 2000). We have a little Norwegian Santa Claus ornament from there. :)

    I would have to say my favorite style is the Aust Agder. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vesterheim has an amazing gift shop. I could've spent a lot longer browsing there. I got a couple of books (Of course) but I loved the Christmas ornaments, the rosemaling tools and paints, and the cooking supplies...how to make lefse, krumkake, and lutefisk. :)

      Delete
  5. Your pick is beautiful Erica but I also like the Telemark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to go wrong with any of them, isn't it? The Telemark has such rich, dark tones. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, so hard to choose - I love furniture with designs painted on them. Each of these designs is beautiful - I love each of them. Thanks for an interesting/beautiful post, Erica - they are always educational, and usually concerning subjects new to me.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)