Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Just the Way You Are

Jaime here. I'm super happy to have my friend Jessica Patch guest posting today. She wanted to share a devo to help jump start our week and I think this one is perfecto!

Take it away, Jess ...

Where Do I Fit?

Remember that old Sesame Street Song: “Three of these kids are kinda the same but one of these kids is doin’ his own thing…




It’s catchy, right? I loved watching that as a kid. As I grew up, I realized how much I identified with that “one kid.”

As an adult inside the body of Christ, I really wondered where I fit. Not a total introvert but definitely not a complete extrovert, I had no clue where I meshed. At times, I wondered if I had a fit at all!

Maybe you wonder the same thing. You’re not exactly a social butterfly so it’s easy to slip into the background and watch as those with big personalities flutter through ministry with amazing grace. Maybe you don’t feel like you have any talent.

Let me reassure you: YOU DO.

“Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
    you formed me in my mother’s womb.
I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking!
    Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
    I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
    you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
    how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
    all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
    before I’d even lived one day.” Psalm 139: 13-16 MSG

God didn’t take all that time and care with you to forego embedding talent and gifts within you. No. He didn’t. He spread out your days and created “good works beforehand that you should walk in them.” Those good works included you using the gifts and talents He created within you.

A sweet lady in our church loved flowers. She had a way with them. So each week she brought a new and amazing floral arrangement and placed it on the counter in the women’s bathroom. I don’t know how many times the chatter was on the beauty of the arrangement. It was a gift that she did “unto the glory of God” and it brought joy to every woman who walked into that bathroom.

You might love babies and you work at a child care center. Rocking babies might not seem like much to you. But think of that frazzled mom who is at her wits end and needs a word planted into her soul to get her recharged in Christ and up and running again. Those two hours were priceless to her. Your ability to make a child feel at peace, and keep from buzzing her number on the big screen is nothing short of a gift. Use it!

In my newest novella, Just the Way You Are, my heroine compares herself to other women in the body of Christ. She sees all their gifts and abilities but never sees her own. Maybe that’s you. And maybe you need the truth spoken in to your life as was spoken into hers.

God love you just the way you are.

If you’re interested in Audrey’s story, you can purchase it as an e-book on Amazon as well as the first story, Hope Under Mistletoe (which will be FREE on May 8th!) http://www.amazon.com/Hope-Under-Mistletoe-Seasons-Book-ebook/dp/B00U0IQRO0/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8  Here’s the blurb:

When Pastor Gabe asks Audrey Gilbraith to use her mad florist skills to help him design a prayer garden, she’s all in, especially since it helps take her mind off the fact she’s about to lose her job and her apartment. But working closely with Gabe and not falling for him is complicated. She’s not pastor’s wife material, and she has the past to prove it.

Gabriel Brookson wants out of Audrey’s friend-zone, but when he pursues her romantically, he ruffles more than a few feathers in his congregation. How much is he willing to give up for this wonderful, quirky woman, and will Audrey accept him if he risks it all?

Your turn to share: Let’s be positive. Share one gift or talent God has blessed you with. It’s tough to say good things about ourselves, but go ahead and give it a try!

Sign up for my newsletter  http://www.jessicarpatch.com/p/blog-page.html and receive the 3rd novella in this series for FREE this fall! Connect with Jessica on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/jessicarpatch?ref=aymt_homepage_panel Twitter https://twitter.com/jessicarpatch and take a peek into life in Mistletoe and see who I case as Audrey and Gabe at the Just the Way You Are Pinterest page! https://www.pinterest.com/jessicarpatch/just-the-way-you-are/

Jessica R. Patch lives in the mid-south where she pens inspirational contemporary romance and romantic suspense novels. When she's not hunched over her laptop or going on adventurous trips in the name of research with willing friends, you can find her sneaking off to movies with her husband, watching way too much Netflix with her daughter, dominating her son at board games, and collecting recipes to amazing dishes she'll probably never cook. Her debut novel with Harlequin Love Inspired Suspense will release in early 2016.






_________________________________


Jaime Wright -

Spirited and gritty turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional
Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :) - Represented by: Books & Such Literary Agency

Find me OnlineSign up for my NEWSLETTER
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

4 comments:

  1. Sesame Street and a devotion?? Love it!! I often feel like an oddball in life, but that's okay. Someone has to be, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the oddball club ;)

      Delete
    2. Hey I'm right there with ya, sister! Like Jaime said, welcome to the club. :) ha!

      Delete
    3. Hey I'm right there with ya, sister! Like Jaime said, welcome to the club. :) ha!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)