Thursday, April 23, 2015

Three of My Favorite Pictures

I have many priceless pictures, but here are three that are very special to me.

On the Big Hill at the Betsy-Tacy Homes in Mankato, Minnesota
Maud Hart Lovelace's Home ~ August 2013

On the banks of Plum Creek in Walnut Grove, Minnesota
Laura Ingalls Wilder's Childhood Home ~ July 2014

In the gardens at Mount Vernon in Mount Vernon, Virginia
George Washington's Home ~ April 2015
These three pictures represent something very important to me: sharing my passion with my daughters. I love history, and I'm passionate about real stories, people, and events that inspire multiple generations.

Every year I plan a trip (or multiple trips) with my children to see where history happened.

Two years ago I read the Betsy-Tacy series to my girls and then we took a trip to Mankato, Minnesota where the stories really happened over a hundred years ago. I can honestly say there's nothing quite like eating a picnic where Maud Hart Lovelace ate with her best friend Bick Kenney (a.k.a. Betsy & Tacy) on the Big Hill in Mankato, Minnesota (you can see a crumb of chocolate cake on my daughter's face from lunch!).

Last year I read the Little House on the Prairie series to my daughters and then we took a trip to Walnut Grove, Minnesota and visited the town that inspired Laura's story, On the Banks of Plum Creek. I will never forget splashing in the waters of Plum Creek where Laura played as a girl.

And last week I took my girls to Washington, D.C. and showed them our nation's capital. We had so much fun, and took hundreds of pictures, but there's one that stands out to me from all the others: the one with my girls in the garden at Mount Vernon.

None of these pictures have anything important in the background to indicate where we were at the moment--but the smiles on our faces, and the wonderful memories they invoke, make them some of my favorite pictures.

Your Turn: What passion do you love sharing with your children? What are some of your favorite pictures? Where do you take people you love?

Gabrielle Meyer:
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website

4 comments:

  1. Hey Gabe! I enjoyed seeing these sweet pictures of you with your girls. You have created such precious memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! We try to do these things with our kids, too. How fun it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these Gabe! Maybe I'll have to answer in a blog post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pics and the fact that your girls will have so many beautiful memories to look back on, as well as an appreciation for history.

    There are so many beautiful historical buildings, sites, and museums in the Louisville, Ky. area-and much more in the state of Ky.: forts, parks, etc.. The whole city and surrounding area is abuzz right now with the events leading up to the Ky. Derby, May2nd. Locust Grove, home of Geo. Rogers Clark, is another beautiful historical site (and the inspiration for one of Laura Franz's novels) - many wonderful events take place there.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)