Wednesday, April 22, 2015

3 Things I Discovered about Pinterest


I have had an up and down relationship with Pinterest, the image-based social network that has captured the attention of creative types around the globe.

At first, I thought, what's the big deal? All I see are recipes for food I will never make and clothes I will never fit into and actors I don't even recognize.

But everyone was telling everyone that anyone who is anyone is on Pinterest.

So I joined.

And I had no clue what I was doing. I didn't know how to find people I knew, or people who were posting pictures of things I might like. I didn't know how to create a board or how or what I should pin to it.

So my profile just sat there with a few pictures and a couple of boards that not even I was interested in.

Then I attended a webinar offered by my literary agency Books & Such (Also the literary agency of Jaime and Gabrielle as it turns out. :) I love that we're 'Bookies' together!) The webinar was given by the generous, funny, and knowledgeable Erin MacPherson.

And it opened my eyes to some of the possibilities of Pinterest.

So, here are three things I have learned about Pinterest:

1. If you want to connect with people, be active. You can't over-pin. I was afraid of over-pinning the way some people over-share or over-post on Facebook. But on Pinterest, the more pins, the better! And re-pinning somebody's pin isn't stealing. They want you to re-pin!

2. If you want people to find your pins, then give your boards succinct titles that people would search for. Don't call your only board "Stuff I like." That's too generic. Be specific, and create boards that are specific. If you like red teapots, name your board "Red Teapots." That way, when someone else is searching for red teapots, your board will come up.

3. If you are looking for something, you can find it on Pinterest. I've created more than 40 boards now, some with some fairly obscure and random contents, because I've been researching or creating boards that pertain to my fiction writing. I've found pins on chuck wagons and vintage jewelry and parasols and Winston Churchill. All things I'm interested in...and others are too.

4. Bonus thing I've learned: Pinterest can be addictive and time sucking. It's easy to get lost in searching and scrolling through fabulous pictures. I've given myself the task of creating one new board per week, but I often find myself making more than one.

Question for you? Are you on Pinterest?

Here is the link to my Pinterest boards. Have a scroll through and tell me which one intrigues you the most.

https://www.pinterest.com/ericavetsch/

rica Vetsch:
Executive Assistant
Earl Grey Aficionado 
Find me on PINTEREST
Find me on GOODREADS
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK
Find me on my WEBSITE

5 comments:

  1. Hey Erica, thank you for sharing your insight into the Pinterest world. I am fairly new to Pinterest. I am careful to limit my time on it and social media in general. Have an awesome Wednesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on Pinterest -- http://pinterest.com/Aerykah7 -- I've been on there for a little while now. And it definitely is addictive! I had to start limiting myself on how much time I spend on there because I could easily spend hours browsing. Speaking of which, I really enjoyed browsing though your boards. ;) The historic stuff is especially interesting to me... Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy Pinterest! :) It's fun to poke around there on rainy days. :) I mainly post PRETTY things...not what you would call "useful", but they inspire me, so that's useful in my book! :)

    https://www.pinterest.com/t4054/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy Pinterest! :) It's fun to poke around there on rainy days. :) I mainly post PRETTY things...not what you would call "useful", but they inspire me, so that's useful in my book! :)

    https://www.pinterest.com/t4054/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only have a couple of boards on Pinterest - as you once were, I don't know how to use it. The couple of boards I have - happened by accident or were created by someone else. I've been kind of hesitant to proceed, fearing I'll become addicted, lol, I spend too much time online - as it is. However, it is fascinating to look at.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)