Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Why Reading #50ShadesOfGrey Changed Me

Fifty Shades of Grey has changed me.

I know, I know, rant all you want. It's evil, it's abusive, it's smut ... but it has changed me. And yes, I did read the book. I'm a firm believer that when I form a strong, black and white opinion, I must know what I'm forming it about. I don't necessarily recommend this for everyone, but in this case, I wanted a foundation to build my opinion on. And I found it. Which is why, in spite of its sordid content, and while not to herald it, this book changed me.

Fifty has reintroduced me to true love in a way I never thought possible. I've been married for 15 years and in that time, we lost three of our children, endured the fright of the NICU, battled postpartum depression, warred with PMDD (not sure what that is? Picture PMS on steroids), traversed the minefields of insomnia, experienced the bitterness of some nasty arguments, and even fought to survive the horrors of snoring in the middle of the night. And yet, he is still with me. He has given me the freedom to live, to express myself, to be independent not of him so much, but to enjoy the adventure of having my own thoughts, dreams, and opinions. He has pushed me forward to experience my hopes. He has held me up when I've collapsed on the floor in a sobbing mess of brokenness. He has tucked me gently into bed and held me as I wept myself into exhaustion. Yes, Fifty has shown me the stark the opposite of this. The horrific domination of a selfish man. My husband pierces my soul with his intensely devoted love. My eyes are open, my love, you are a hero.

Fifty has reminded me of my womanhood. I am strong. I believe and I believe hard and steadfast. I have opinions, and they are valuable. I have faith, and it is right and it is good. God has given me a mind, a body, a beauty, that is my own, defined in Him. He created me in His image, therefore, I am precious. I have the right to stand in His strength, I have the privilege to live in the reflection of His glory, I am intricately made to be me. I am woman. I am wanted. There is no necessity to conform to another's manipulations, control, opinion, dominance, or abuse. I submit only to my Creator and to the lines of leadership He has placed in my life. Leadership that does not abuse, but values. Woman is beautiful.

Fifty has reminded me of my daughter. Her innocence and purity. Her desire to live with her brother forever and ever and never leave her daddy. Of the importance to surround her with men who value her, protect her, teach her how to stand, how to value who God made her to be, how to be a leader and a fighter for that which she believes. To be a woman of faith coupled with a grasp of the strength given to her by her Lord, to guard herself, and those around her. I rise and up and call you blessed, oh sweet one, for tomorrow this world will attempt to break you. But you are a soldier for the King, His princess, and a warrior of grace.

Fifty  has reminded me of all that I have been blessed with. In the wake of gray, I find beautiful, blazing white. Blinding my eyes and astounding me with glory. God has magnificently designed His perfection.

I will never promote Fifty in all its oppressive, disrespectful, dishonoring insult. I will never urge a woman to read it, or suggest a man take his wife to view it. But I will stand and say, in the shadows of darkness, a magnificent light can shine. It can bring to remembrance the beauty of blessing. It can reignite thankfulness for the man I have married who honors me. It can show me, all the more powerfully, that God can take my sickening, disgusting, pitiful humanity and redeem it into something precious.

_________________________________

Jaime Wright - 

Spirited and gritty turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :) - Represented by: Books & Such Literary Agency

Find me Online
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jaime! As a single woman who won't see the moive or read the book (a matter of my own personal choice) I'm happy to hear it pushed you to Christ. I see that happening to me with a lot of things I experience or see here in DC - the brokenness allows me to remember the only One who can make things whole again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And being made whole is such a blessed experience!!!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I could stand up and cheer. Beautiful, Jaime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Karen. We SHOULD cheer for our God and His designs!! Isn't it great? :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. And Amen...I've read so many great posts about this topic. I think God can use even this to bring awareness to His far more perfect plan!

      Delete
  4. It just goes to show, over and over again, that God can bring good out of anything...especially when you enter into something with the right perspective and when you don't. I really love how our God works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that this book reinforced your blessings, Jaime, and that - as Casey says, God can take anything - no matter how wrong - and turn it into something positive for our good and His glory!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Powerful thoughts and perspective, Jaime. I haven't read the book, or viewed the movie, but I agree with why you read it--and I couldn't be happier that you came away seeing the blazing white light of God's glory. I identified with so many things you said--so many. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! When I first read the title of your post, I wasn't sure what to think, you got me fooled for a bit! haha. Well, what you said was definitely well-put and while I respect your decision of seeing things for yourself or so to speak, I have to put in my two cents with a word of advice that while someone mature ( like you) may handle the content without being defiled by it, someone younger might take your words in the wrong way and give it a "try" only to discover afterwards that this read has twisted his views on what a healthy relationship is all about. God wants us to keep our hearts pure and shun anything that even appears evil. By no means am I promoting the "bury-your-head-in-the-sand" approach, but I say be careful with the way some other readers might interpret your input.The forbidden fruit always appeals the most. I hope you don't mind my take on this, I didn't mean to offend or anything. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!! no thank you for sharing your opinion and I absolutely agree. One of the challenges is my husband is a youth director and I've been in youth ministry for over twenty years myself. the kids ARE reading this anyway. And, because I found it disgusting it wasn't a temptation to read it. I do feel that as a youth leader I need to be aware of what they are inputting into their minds. But, in no way would I encourage the major population to do "research" just to be aware of what sin is. LOL I highly discourage getting drunk so you can "relate". On the flip side, I knew this was a "safe" one for me to research since it was so disgusting. :P great insight!!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)