Tuesday, February 24, 2015

When Dreams ... Hit Pause????

So.....this was not how this morning was supposed to be. All my hoopla, all my narcissistic, pump up the excitement, Facebook posters, my pre-written newsletter scheduled to go out at 6 AM this morning, and blog post scheduled to post at 6:30 am...

Nope. This was NOT expected.

At 4:00 PM, yesterday afternoon I received an email. A "hit pause" sort of email. A BIG PAUSE button. Things may change. "Don't say anything yet. It wouldn't be prudent." I don't want to be prudent. This news, this amazing dream I've always had and you can probably guess, just got deflated like the biggest hot air balloon. And in accordance with all things in the publishing world, I can't say much about it.

Most of you who visit here are readers. So I'm inviting you into the sneak peek of the world of a writer's disappointment. Plainly put, my big "announcement" is on hold because of some major shifts in the industry. We're waiting to see if the "Play" button is pushed or if it's just a big, red "The End" before it begins button.

To be honest, it hurts. It's disappointing. Sort of like that lead ball that hits the pit of your stomach and you just go ... well, crud.

Sorry to disappoint you all today. :( I feel like I've let you all down.

But two things, I definitely know:

1. Nothing happens as a surprise to the Lord. I've had my dream in the palm of my hand since I was 13, and my hand has always been open for Him to move it. I don't clench my fist. I leave it open.

2. The party MUST go on! Why? Because I love parties and gosh darn I'm going to have one!!

So what am I celebrating? The UNKNOWN! And you! Because without all of you, I'd be lonely. You all make my life so much fun and filled with blessing. So...tomorrow I'm going to tell you the story of how I started writing when I was 13, just as I'd planned. And the next day, I am going to show you never-before-seen-snippets of the first novel I ever wrote ... at 13. And then Friday, I'm still going to give away the fun little package I'd planned to give away.

A 13 yr. old's writerly beginners kit:

1. Coffee (no duh)
2. A journal (because typewriters weren't portable when I was 13)
3. Colored pens, 'cause who doesn't want those?
4. Popcorn which is my go-to snack
5. Peppermints because they just demand to be the follow up to some good popcorn

These are the items that kept me writing at 13. These are the items that will keep me writing ... until "Play" is hit.


Prayers appreciated, my friends.


_________________________________

Jaime Wright - 

Spirited and gritty turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :) - Represented by: Books & Such Literary Agency

Find me Online
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest



41 comments:

  1. Publishing is a fickle business. Always has been! Your dream will come alive! I'm sure of it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime, I'm mad at the stupid PAUSE button. GRRR! And I'm sorry...hugs, prayers, you've got it all.

    But I'm glad you're still celebrating. I really believe sometimes those unknowns end up being even better than the previous knowns. You're so right--this isn't a surprise to God. And I love, love, LOVE what you said about not clenching your fist. So much of the writing dream, at least to me, feels like this teeth-grinding, fists-clenched pursuit...but it's happier and freer and just better when we keep a light grasp and ready hands and open heart...your post today challenged and encouraged me in that area. So thank you for inspiring even in the midst of temporary disappointment.

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to go all Jack Bauer on the pause button last night. Hugs back.

      Delete
  3. Well I'm still gonna party with you because you are one of the most genuine people I know. Keep on pushing because God's got this! It's going to be super abundantly above anything you can ask or imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAYAY!! I want to partay with you too, lovely! :) <3

      Delete
  4. Uh, Man! That just stinks. Big HUGS to you, Jaime! A journal and colored pens sounds about right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? With coffee too. Perfect comfort. :) :) Hugs back.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaime, thank you for your transparency. It is one of the reasons that I read your blog. I wish I could do more than send virtual (((((((HUGS)))))). I will be praying that He comforts you and gives you wisdom for the journey ahead. He is your glory and the lifter of your head. Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and amen. No accidents, right Caryl? I just wish I could've made my original post. :( I was so excited to tell you all.

      Delete
    2. In His PERFECT timing you will be able to share. This "test" is producing a great testimony. Hang in there!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Jaime, I was so excited to stop by this morning! I know how hard and LONG you've worked for this dream. My heart is hurting for you. It's such a tough time to be a writer, and to be a CBA writer feels even more challenging. I'm here if you need a shoulder. Love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muah!!! Thanks, my dear, you're such a great support! Love you back!

      Delete
  8. Prayers and hugs and a big, virtual cup of steaming hot coffee are all yours. I'm frustrated for you, Jaime. This journey is difficult, but I love your attitude and perspective. Thank you for celebrating through the disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making lemonade out of lemons :) And it's still sweet. :) Thanks for your friendship, Gabe!!! <3

      Delete
  9. Jaime - I'm sorry! Thanks for having a good attitude in the midst of tough things. I need that reminder often! Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont we though? It's hard to have a good attitude. But for the grace of God.

      Delete
  10. Grrrrr! And double grrrrr, grrrrr!!

    Sending a big hug your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for growling with me. And the hug. God's got this.

      Delete
  11. Passing the chocolate and a fist bump. Every writer's road has a bit of a hiccup...or two...after all, no conflict, no story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate and fist bumps. What more could I ask for? <3

      Delete
  12. Jaime - I'm keeping you close in my prayers and sending you a big hug. I have no doubt this is a momentary pause and soon we will all be doing the happy dance with you. Love you, sweetie. I just wanted to say how awesome it is of you to share the opposite side of the fence we writers experience. I know it's not easy. I can't tell you how close I've come so many times only to hit a detour or a stop sign of disappointment - at least yours is on pause. You have a lot of people who love you and are rooting for you. We're here for you! Sending you love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loree, I can't wait to meet you face to face someday!!!!

      Delete
  13. I'm so sorry to hear this. God has a bigger plan waiting for you but in the meantime a big hug to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man oh man oh man. I can just imagine what you're going through, Jaime! As you said, God is not surprised. I'm guessing He stepped in. Maybe there was something about this deal that wouldn't have been good for you in the bigger picture of things. Or maybe He's got something even better. I had that happen once in my career (though maybe not as dramatically), and now I can look back and say, "So glad He saved me from THAT." I'm praying for you, sweetie! And lifting a coffee cup in your honor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Karen!! And thanks for the coffee salute!!! Back atcha!!! <3

      Delete
  15. OH sweetie, my heart hurts for you. I know that sinking disappointment writers can feel when they have such huge dreams and they don't happen when we are sure they are supposed to. You are taking a very godly approach to this and I admire that! Praying for you, gal. God can always make a way! HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it's "Pause" and not "The End". :) There's always hope. God never makes an error

      Delete
  16. In no way did you disappoint us! We are along for the ride, ups and downs. It just makes the suspense more real. ;) I can't imagine what you are going through - I am not a writer. But, hold that Bible close and have an extra sweet 3 or more cappucinos and lattes for me. He helps us weather any storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such a great perspective. Bible close and cappuccinos. AMEN and AMEN

      Delete
  17. So sorry, Jaime!! However, I know this is - as you said - just a pause, and feel God has even greater blessings - beyond your wildest imagination, so that would be pretty vast, right, lol - in store for you!! Praying for you and sending my love and hugs your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very sorry for your " pause button." I got a huge one at 16, muscle disorder called dystonia. I had my life planned, graduate highschool, work and go to college, become a teacher, follow CHRIST. Then...boom... Very ill. Gods ways were much better than mine though I didn't have any idea I'd be 2,000 miles away from home, married, a beautiful daughter. That pause is still in my life, but I no longer see it the same looking back. God is good...and all things in his time. At the time, however, it's wonderful to have support of people around you to encourage as you feel the disappointment and questions that come with that pause.So very sorry, but glad God is in control! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a testimony you are!! Thank you for sharing. What a special story and I'm sure the Lord is using you daily!!

      Delete
  19. Everything will work out when the time is right. "Knowing God is never late, makes it easier to wait." Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My heart hurts for you too. But I KNOW the down swings in your journey are just leading to some huge mountain tops :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jaime,
    You are so inspiring! I love your attitude about celebrating the unexpected and unknowns in life. Not easy to do, but life's an adventure that way. Keep up the good work. I enjoy your writing and looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)