Monday, February 23, 2015

Romancing the Cowboy, Why Not?

I was raised on Johnny Cash, John Wayne, and Louis L'Amour.
Coon hunters. Deer hunters. Trappers. Elk, moose, and bear hunters.
Little House on the Prairie and Christy. Anne of Green Gables and Janette Oke.


So what if my heroes have the air of the heroes of my past?
My husband knows I wax romantic over the icon of a cowboy.
Logical? Nope. Realistic? Nope. (and believe it or not I'm a realist, INTJ).
[don't mistake the following for a quick-pass over real pain, I'm not talking about nonfiction]
So why the romance?

My epiphany?

Because romance lets us tell the stories.
Stories of pain.
Romance overlooks the reality that some stories are too painful to tell.
Romance is victory over that pain and the truth of ugliness and sin.
Without romance, the pain wins and the story is so often lost and not retold.
To that I say, oh death where is thy sting?
Maybe the definition of romance for some is too false to hold the truth.
But for me, romance triumphs.
It tells the truth with hope.
It finds the beauty beyond the pain.
It finds love.
Love victorious.
And I believe in that.
Else what could I ground my reality on other than Love?
Oh death, oh pain, where is thy sting? Ha!
I tell my story.
I tell my hope.
I tell my victory.

And if my story has a cowboy hat,
a horse,
a strong man who knows pain,
a woman who faces her life,
ready to find love?

Well.....
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."~~Alfred Lord Tennyson

So, whatever tale you have lived, how ever much pain you have wrestled, tell it.
Tell it, if the truth you still believe is that God is in His heaven, Jesus was more than a man,
and His glory somehow breathed into your story....by His romance with you.

So, girl, put your records on.
Man, cowboy up.
Don't be afraid to romance it.
But never stop telling it.
Never stop believing.

Because the truth is, romance, believing our dreams and hopes, takes courage.
And there's something in that that breeds admiration.
And there's just enough "Anne with an e" in me
that refuses to give up on believing in the beauty of romance.
Because in the words of The Duke:

Readers: 
What's your all-time favorite cowboy movie?
Who is your favorite hero?
Heroine?

-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter
Represented by Sarah Freese, WordServe Literary

3 comments:

  1. John Wayne, True Grit, I liked The Cowboys but hated that John Wayne was killed. You love to hate Bruce Dern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cowboys with John Wayne.. Makes me cry every time I watch it..And
    Lonesome Dove 1.. I just fell in love with Gus.. makes me cry when he dies.. I must like tear jerkers LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. My Dad called me today to say he printed off my post and thought it was poetic. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)