Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Anne's Recipe Swap: Baked Oatmeal

Yes, I love to take pics of my food creations. We've already established that Jaime takes selfies and I take food pics: see My Food Pic Addiction Post

I've been asked to share my Baked Oatmeal Recipe by several readers. Around my area in Northern Indiana, baked Oatmeal is known as an Amish or Mennonite dish. We often have large pans of baked oatmeal served at our breakfast potlucks at church. And my favorite is drowning it in yummy vanilla pudding sauce that I'm sure is a secret recipe from one of the church ladies on the hostess committee. I've yet to commandeer it, but I'm on a mission!


Anne's Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients:
2 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon

2 cups milk (I use rice milk)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

1 pear
4 tbsp butter (I use Kerrygold Irish butter)

Directions: 
Spray a 8 or 9 inch baking dish with olive oil spray. Dice a pear into the dish.
Mix dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix milk, eggs, vanilla in another bowl, add melted butter to this mixture. Pour over the pears in the dish.

Bake at 325 F for 40 minutes, or until the center is done and no longer wet on a cake tester.

Serves 6.
Serve with raisins, brown sugar, milk, nuts or vanilla pudding sauce.

Reheats well.

I've used instant oats once, that worked fine. I've also tried it once with nonGMO steel cut oats, but I'll have to keep perfecting it with that. It made it much thicker and took much longer to bake. I think I will need to reduce the amount of oats from 2 cups to 1 1/2, and also try soaking it in the wet mixture for 5-15 minutes before baking next time around. You may also use almond milk in place of rice milk, both are very good.

Readers: Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Another one you'd like from me? Something new you've tried recently?
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter
Represented by Sarah Freese, WordServe Literary

5 comments:

  1. So much yum!!!!!!! going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to make some tomorrow! Warm up the house in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, is right! I love oatmeal. It may be one of my favorite foods. I have an oatmeal cake recipe that always gets rave reviews. I'll have to try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try this recipe, Anne, and would love to see you post others!! Wasn't expecting to see a pear in the recipe - but feel sure it adds to the flavor. I love pears and am wondering if canned pears could be used?? I would also love to have the recipe for the vanilla pudding sauce - if you are so fortunate as to get it!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)